Yeast Nutrient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer slayer

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you have used it?
Does it have any benefits to your fermentation ?
How much do you use per 20lt batch?

:beer:

Hey Beerslayer, quick answers to your questions.
- Yes i use it, mostly in starters and strong ales.
- Yes it helps kick off a strong fermentation and attenuation
- I use 1 packet of the dry stuff per 20lt, i think they come in ~6gm bags?

Yeast Nutrient.
So, do you use it in your yeast starter/stir plate?
Chuck it in the boil or in cool wort ?
How expensive is it?
Or is this stuff just other marketing waffle?

cmon guys, i am currious on this one.
:D

Used it in the boil, never in starters. Got the Wyeast type from G&G for $5 (42.5 gms) The only diff I noticed was I had less trub in the frementer, don't know if it was related. I think I put 1/2 tspn in double batch. :blink:

I use some dried yeast as a yeast nutrient. I can't speak for technical details. However since I have started using it I have had very good fermentation.

I use bakers yeast that costs about $5 for 200gm or so. I put a table spoon or so in with about ten minutes left in the boil. There is plenty of information around on the pros and cons of this type of yeast nutrient. All I can say is that it works for me.

homebrewworld.com said:
Yeast Nutrient.
So, do you use it in your yeast starter/stir plate?
Chuck it in the boil or in cool wort ?
How expensive is it?
Or is this stuff just other marketing waffle?

cmon guys, i am currious on this one.
:D
[post="122748"][/post]​

I use the dry yeast nutrient no brand name comes in silver foil packet $1 for 6gm pack.
For a 1lt starter i use a very small amount, 6 grams is for 20lts. I chuck it in the cool wort.

beer slayer said:
Just wondering how many of you have used it?
Does it have any benefits to your fermentation ?
How much do you use per 20lt batch?

[post="122592"][/post]​

Brewcraft Nutrient Salts.
1\4 teaspoon per 5 litres or as recipe requires.
Feeds yeast & promotes vigorious healthy growth.
100% Diammonium Phosphate.
Product of Germany.

There, you know just as much about the stuff as I do. :p
Couldn't find the Wyeast nutrient so I got this.
Never used it in a fermentor but it's good to get your starters going well.
50 grams cost me from memory around $5 or so.

I use the Wyeast Yeast Nutrient in the boil @ 15mins.
I started using it the same time I started doing inline aeration to the fermenters and not long later I also started using a magnetic stirer for starters.
Quite often now I'll have fermentation starting (ie airlock activity) in 3 hours.

Doc

The ESB yeast nutrient pack. Just 1/4 teaspoon for a twenty litre batch. Seem to have good fermentation, good attenuation, no stuck fements. Never used it in a starter, maybe I should. :)

I used a sachet of Cooper's dry yeast in the boil as nutrient for my last two brews.

They both (ales) seem to be fermenting more vigorously and the one I started early Sunday is still producing a lot of Co2like its still Monday :D

Oh, and the other one blocked it's airlock with foam/hop particles so badly today and produced enough pressure that it shot the top off with a loud "pop" :eek:

PZ.

Autolyzed Yeast, Magnesium Sulphate, Di-Ammonium Phosphate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Thiamine Hydrochloride & Calcium Pantothenate.

This is a proper commercial yeast nutrient sells for around 10 cents per gram, recommended dosage is 0.2 -0.25 g / Litres.

50 to 60 cents to ensure good healthy yeast growth.

Do I use it?
No not for a brew, a healthy wort should contain everything a growing yeast needs. In fact you dont want the yeast to reproduce too quickly (or slowly), during the reproductive phase the yeast metabolised fatty acids, free protein and sugars to reproduce and build a store of energy in the form of glycogen vital for later successful anaerobic fermentation.

If you are culturing yeast, would you use nutrient - you bet, along with constant aeration and a good supply of wort.
Wort alone isnt enough if you want to really build up the population.

MHB

I've only used it once (DAP), when I added it near the end of the boil. Put a packet in, and got a volcano out. The pressure lifted the heavy lid 4 inches into the air and caused the biggest mess I have even had to clean up. And that inculdes the port & fishfinger barf years ago. :party:
It's very funny now thinking about, :D :D , but I won't be making the same mistake again.

Back