Yeast Nutrient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it a few times with old packs of Coopers yeasts, don't know if it made much difference.
I always use yeast nutrient where there are non-malt components in the recipe such as rice, maize, sugar or maltose syrup as they are "empty calories" as far as the yeast is concerned.

For all malt brews I generally use YN (the brown stuff from Sponsor) but sometimes forget :p

I've done it a few times with old packs of Coopers yeasts, don't know if it made much difference.
I always use yeast nutrient where there are non-malt components in the recipe such as rice, maize, sugar or maltose syrup as they are "empty calories" as far as the yeast is concerned.

For all malt brews I generally use YN (the brown stuff from Sponsor) but sometimes forget :p

Thanks mate, i put the old yeast in at 20 mins. Tried some Trappist beer this aro, leffe or something, really creeps up on you
Chees mate

Does anyone know what is the recomended dosage for adding nutrient to a starter?

I tend to add a 'smidge'. I would estimate this to be a few grams worth. I use DME in my starters or wort prior to hopping (Plenty of nutrient in there as it is).

Which nutrient wolfman?

I use wyeast nutrient - dosage for that is 2.2g per 5.5 US gallons (19-20 L) so depending on the size of your starter, you could work backwards from that.

I make my starters from wort that has already been dosed with nutrient (taken from the kettle post boil) but if I ever add to anything other than my wort, it's a smidge as per Raven (although I'm not sure if he uses US smidges or UK imperial smidges).

The yeast book says 1/8th of a teaspoon for 2L

I have just used some Wyeast nutrient in a starter and I have noticed a strange stale smell. Anyone smelt a difference in their starter when using Wyeast nutirent?

I have just used some Wyeast nutrient in a starter and I have noticed a strange stale smell. Anyone smelt a difference in their starter when using Wyeast nutirent?
No need to reply. I have just tasted it and its rank!
Tossed it out and now making another. Must be some sort of infection. I did notice some black spots on the bottom, not sure if its from the dregs of my last runnings or something growing

No need to reply. I have just tasted it and its rank!
Tossed it out and now making another. Must be some sort of infection. I did notice some black spots on the bottom, not sure if its from the dregs of my last runnings or something growing
Some/many yeast nutrients include DAP (Diammonium phosphate) which can smell pretty horrid (ammonia) when added to small volumes (especially if its heated) - but you'd have noticed that when it was first added, not after it had fermented out.

Latest posts

Back