Yeast Nutrient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Ok, new brewer who has moved away from kit yeast. I've read about yeast nutrient. Two questions

1) What are the benefits of yeast nutrient

2) Can 'kit yeast' be used as a nutrient (have been using US-05 and about to use wb-06 in my Witbier)

Cheers,
Mosto

Yeast nutrient will help keep your yeast in the best of health which in turn will help give you a cleaner & better ferment.
There is some benefit from adding old yeast as a nutrient, but it's nowhere near as good as adding proper nutrient.

cheers Ross

Yeast nutrient will help keep your yeast in the best of health which in turn will help give you a cleaner & better ferment.
There is some benefit from adding old yeast as a nutrient, but it's nowhere near as good as adding proper nutrient.

cheers Ross

If you use dried yeast from a well known sponsor :rolleyes: and only do 23ltr batches is there any need to use yeast nutrient?

If you use dried yeast from a well known sponsor :rolleyes: and only do 23ltr batches is there any need to use yeast nutrient?

To assist optinum yeast health, yes.

cheers Ross

Do you just add the Yeast Nutrient (in this case it's in powder form) at the same time as you add the packet yeast or is there a procedure to follow? (boiling it etc)

Do you just add the Yeast Nutrient (in this case it's in powder form) at the same time as you add the packet yeast or is there a procedure to follow? (boiling it etc)

Don't know if you rehydrate your yeast before adding to the wort but I would dissolve the nutrient in some boiled water and add to the fermenter along with the yeast.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't usually rehydrate my packet yeast, but may do in future.

I'm guessing that I should let the boiled water cool down before adding the yeast nutrient? Should it be the same temp ass the wort I'm adding it to?

no need to let the boiled water cool down. As you usually add it into your boil 10mins before the end if I remember correctly.

When I actually remember to add yeast nutrient, I add it with 10min left in the boil. I believe this to be the general recommendation.

When I actually remember to add yeast nutrient, I add it with 10min left in the boil. I believe this to be the general recommendation.
Pretty sure that's what the (commercial-type/size) container of yeast-nutrient I have says.

Packet says last 10min of boil. therefore I just add it into the boil with the brew brite or whirlflock etc.

I suspect it would be more beneficial to rehydrate your dried yeast than to add yeast nutrient. But it would be bet to do both.

I always add yeast nutrient to my boils, but I'm not doing kits

When I actually remember to add yeast nutrient, I add it with 10min left in the
boil. I believe this to be the general recommendation.
Pretty sure that's what the (commercial-type/size) container of yeast-nutrient
I have says.
Under the principle of tight arseness :rolleyes:, I wonder if it would be better to
add it to a cup of boiling water, and then to fermenter when it's cooled.
Thinking a good portion of nutrient could be lost through mixing with hot
break and hops if added to kettle.

Or add to wort used for making a starter where it's poured into fermenter
without decanting the starter beer - would the normal nutrient dose for a
full batch be too much to add to a starter?

Under the principle of tight arseness :rolleyes:, I wonder if it would be better to
add it to a cup of boiling water, and then to fermenter when it's cooled.
Thinking a good portion of nutrient could be lost through mixing with hot
break and hops if added to kettle.
I have a 1kg container of the stuff, and the 'average' brew uses 88g, so no need to be a tight-ass. ;)

I have a 1kg container of the stuff, and the 'average' brew uses 88g, so no need to be a tight-ass. ;)
88g? Is that a typo? I think that would be about a small bowl's worth of nutrient.

I think I used about 7 grams for a single batch, can't remember, it's been a while since I used it. A 90 gram pack lasted quite a few brews I believe.

yeast nutrient has a flavour doesn't it?

88g would be a HUGE amount and Im sure its not more is better!!

tnd

Yeast nutrient I use (wyeast) is 2.2g per 20 odd litres. Add 10 mins before flameout.

Back