Yeast Nutrient In Lagars, And Some Genral Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ade42

Reaction score
Gday guys,

putting down a couple of brews in the fridge tomorrow (or the next day!) and wondering about Yeast Nutrient, Ive been usually pitching 2 packets of fermentis W23 (for the pilsoner) and 2x S23 for any type of lagar, since a couple of months ago i had a stuck brew at 1020, I thought it might be wise to get some Nutrient and put a teaspoon in which would mean I could just use the one packet, or whould this ferment the buggery out of my wort and id be left with very dry undrinkable beer, I have used yeast nutrient in the past and it seemed to make the beers very "acidy".

IMG_0440.jpg

Ive started making some Mangrove Jack kits. Gonna start with this one, what hop's would people suggest to go with it. Ive been having some success with SAAZ of late but have a few packets lying around.

and Im having probs with the fermentables. I have No idea what "combo" of fermentables should go with each kit.

Here's my booty

Beer Booster Ive got a couple of these
Dex 500g
Corn Syrup 250g
Light Malt 250g

2 tins of morgans Malt extract
"Lager Pale"
"Beer Enhancer"

Plus some dex and some coopers "brewing sugur" boxes. and can buy any of the coopers stuff if needed

In the way of kits ive picked up

Morgans Golden Sazz
Blue Mountain lager
Mangrove Jack's Munich lager

so my question would be if I was making a beer in the sytle of a munic lager using the mangove tin as a base, what fermentables would be needed to keep it in "style", and how about hops?. not looking at making any clones, im beyond that now!

Thanks.!

wondering about Yeast Nutrient, Ive been usually pitching 2 packets of fermentis W23 (for the pilsoner) and 2x S23 for any type of lagar, since a couple of months ago i had a stuck brew at 1020, I thought it might be wise to get some Nutrient and put a teaspoon in which would mean I could just use the one packet, or whould this ferment the buggery out of my wort and id be left with very dry undrinkable beer, I have used yeast nutrient in the past and it seemed to make the beers very "acidy".
Adding yeast nutrient does not mean that you can reduce the amount of yeast you pitch, you'll still have to pitch the 'correct' amount of yeast, the nutrient will just help them get started a little better.
I add yeast nutrient to mostly every beer I make, but the 'recomended' rate I use is a bit less than 1g per 22L batch, which goes into the boil.
The most common source of HB tasting 'acidy' is lacto-infection, so if you had a problem like that, what nutrient did you use and when did you add it?

when i meant acidy, i meant when the hydro goes down to 1.000 and its like "metho-beer" I can't pin a word on the taste but like when ive tried dry-enzimes.

I added a teaspoon, before i pitched the yeast, usually gave it a nice stir in. The stuff was in a sealed packet from my LHBS.

Im also A bit worried about using 2 packets of yeast, obviously the recommenced dose is 1 packet around 11 odd grams, but some of the lager threads here, people seem to be using 2 packets so i go with the "flow" as it were.

wow 1g seems to be not much at all! mabey I was overdoing things, every brew I tried it on (about 5-8) came out exactly at 1.000, dry as a tomb and very "off" tasting (to my tastebuds anyway)

So perhaps if I was to add say 1g to my boiling the hops stage it's all i really should do?

although I have had some Infections in the past im extra cautious now, plus a good soak in nappysan for 4 days minimum plus a good boil rinse ive never looked back.

Anyone?

I Put 2-4g of yeast neutriant into my 2 lagers while boiling the grain liqueur, They have been down a week at 12c, just took a reading and one has gone from 1050 to 1010 and the other 1036 yo 1008, This being super quick, im hoping they wont keep fermenting till dry!

Back