Yeast nutrient and no chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.
Reaction score
Quick question for the no chill boffins, do you just add yeast nutrient at flameout or directly into the cube?

Has anyone just made up the yeast nutrient in say a cup of boiling water and added to the fermenter when pouring the cube in?

I usually chill (95% of the time) but aiming to knock out two brews tomorrow and cube both of them..

I do as per instructions. 10 minutes from fo. Different nutrients may differ - I use wyeast blend.

Mine gets ten minutes before also, just wasn't sure because of the no chill factor whether or not just to put at flameout.

Probably over-thinking things looking to make changes to things that aren't broken. Cheers.

I asked Jess Caudill of Wyeast a question about the nutrient once and got the impression that one of the main reasons for adding it to the boil was so that it'd mix in and disperse evenly instead of clumping together. But if you make a slurry first then that's probably not a problem anyway.

It is acceptable to add the dry nutrient directly to the boiling wort. Dissolving in warm water prior to adding to the wort removes the potential of clumping and incomplete dissolution in the wort. The likelihood of this is minimal though if added directly into the boiling wort.

i was under the impression that you add it to the boil to kill anything that may be still living in there.
you would just add it to the FV with the yeast otherwise.

Latest posts

Back