Yeast issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr B

Reaction score
As I posted in the US05 thread, having a couple of issues with yeast starting.

2 all grain batches, 24l each:

Batch 1 OG 1.059 pitched a re-hydrated 10g dry pack of US05 on Monday 19 Jan. No visible krausen or SG drop over next 4 days, pitched some (not sure how much) rinsed yeast on Friday morning. Went away for a couple of days, and there was krausen when I got home last night, SG as of about half an hour ago is 1.024. Hydro sample was really fizzy into the sample tube, opaque and smelt/tasted 'yeasty'. Maybe some sourness there.

Batch 2 OG 1.062 pitched a 10g dry pack (not re-hydrated) of US05 on Thursday 22 Jan. No krausen whe I got home last night, but a thin one this morning. SG hasnt really moved. I pitched an additional yeast as above just now. Wort still tastes good.

Both worts no chill, brewed 2 days before pitch, aerated by a shake in the cube and a pour from a height into fermenters.

Both yeasts purchased from local shop at same time a couple of weeks ago.

The second pitches are highly likely to be underpitched, along with the failed initial pitches. I don't really get yeast volumes yet, just started to suss out rinsing.

So, what would you do? See both ferments through? Ditch them?

What is the likely effect of the failed ferments?

lack of adequate aeration is one possible reason for not taking off.

Both are likely to be under-pitched, at around 1060 you want to either add 2 packs..or.. doa second lot of adequate aeration, even a good whisking is better than nothing.

bit late to do anything about it, raise the temps toward the end and condition well before bottle/keg

My 2c.

See both ferments through. Lag time on the first brew is in the 'danger zone' of the spectrum... add to that your detected hint of "sourness" and having added some rinsed yeast and still at 1.024 seven days later (what temp did you ferment at?) raises questions concerning age and storage of yeast at lhbs, rehydration temps/and or technique and the aeration/ oxygenation of the wort prior to pitching.

Second batch sounds like an under pitch, and lack of aeration.. but it's four days later, the yeast are eating (albeit slowly) prior to your additional pitch, and all still smells good, so live and learn... take notes of how both batches taste and see how the recipes hold up when repeated with greater focus on yeast handling.

Thanks for the replies all.

I have come to the conclusion that twas me at fault through under pitching,

Both batches fermented in a fridge at 18 deg, and aerated by a high pour from nochill into cube. Both got down to 1.011 no probs, I raised temp a little at the end to make sure.

Both are now kegged.

The first batch was the sour one, it tastes a little weird, not sure if that arises from the Saaz hops which I have never used before (its all Saaz), but I suspect it is a bit strange from the lag/underpitch. Drinkable, but I consider it a little 'interesting' tasting.

The second batch is pretty good, but I think it is also a little affected by the lag/underpitch (I've made this before and it was a cracker).

One lives and learns......

Latest posts

Back