Yeast is Rising

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
Hello

I am a little worried about the level of my yeast cake in my fermenter, it looks like it could easily end up in the bottle.

The fermenter is already on a slight angle away from the tap but this has not prevented it rising so high.

I actually have 2 batches of the same beer in my fermenting fridge and the other fermenter is fine, just this one has yeast cake up to the tap.

I am close to terminal gravity and plan to dry hop and cold crash in the next few days and was looking for some advice as ho how I might get the yeast back under the tap?

Photo attached.

Cheers,
UNT

IMG_2915.JPG

When I face this problem I rack the beer off the trub cake into a secondary fermenter and then crash chill / dry hop. Lots of debate about the benefits vs risk of doing this (many people avoid it due to contamination risk) but I haven't had any contaminations yet, you just need to sanitise the bejesus out of everything as per usual

If you're cold crashing, it will compact
If you're bottling, it will settle and compact
RDWHAHB

Ok, thanks for all that! Sediment reducer next time for sure. And I do not have another vessel to rack to or a syphon to get the beer out of the current vessel!

So does anyone see any benefit in chocking it up more to try and push the yeast away from the tap?

I am also interested is any theories as to why the yeast would sometime rise above the tap and other times not??

Cheers,
UNT

If the fridge that it is currently in works, just cold crash it once fermentation is complete. Don't worry about chocking it up. Or chock it up, then cold crash.

At worst you will probably get a bit of yeast initially.

Don't put 120g of hops onto the sediment reducing tap :ph34r:

I had dramas with this over the weekend on top of the yeast and may have stuffed my swap beer.

Just put something much bigger under the tap side so it is on more of a lean away from the tap. Then when you cold crash it should drop well below the tap level. Just discard the first bit out of the tap before bottling.

Back