Yeast Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goon Boy

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to have never had a yeast infection however I think I have one at the moment. I pitched Amercian Ale 2 1272 last Sunday and it took 24 hours before I saw any signs of fermentation (giving wild yeast a chance to take hold?). It then started to ferment quite rapidly and blow kreusen out the air lock. Has continued to ooze Kreusen since that point. I checked the grav this morning and has only moved marginally. I assume this is a wild yeast infection? Is there anythign I can do to save the wort?

How does it taste? How much is marginally? What is your fermentation temperature? What is the recipe? How much yeast did you pitch and how old was it? What was the OG of the wort?

Krausen coming out the top of the fermenter doesn't necessarily mean an infection.

Without knowing any of the above mentioned factors, this sounds just like a normal volcanic ferment. Taste it, that is a sure tell tail when you have an infection.....

Thansk for the feedback.

Have not actually tasted it so that looks like it is the critical test. What am I looking for when I taste it? I gather it won't taste too good.

It is a Black IPA - Maris Otter, 60 Cystal, wheate, Choc, Caraffa 2.

The SG was 1.049, sitting at 1.045 now.

Yeast was relatively fresh but I think I may have picthed with too much of a temp difference from wort so shocked the yeast. Did smack properly and had swelled.

Goon Boy said:
What am I looking for when I taste it?
lol, no need to look for anything, if it is infected you will certainly know. :icon_vomit:

I reckon you are reading too much into it and worrying yourself over something because it is acting a little different than what you are used to.

I've had 1272 spewing out the top of the fermenter like a volcano.

fermenter.jpg

This was after I cleaned the side of the fermenter down and the fridge was also full of foam. this stuff can ferment pretty agressively in the right conditions (plus I may have slightly overpitched)

Aces High said:
I've had 1272 spewing out the top of the fermenter like a volcano.

attachicon.gif
fermenter.jpg

This was after I cleaned the side of the fermenter down and the fridge was also full of foam. this stuff can ferment pretty agressively in the right conditions (plus I may have slightly overpitched)
My last hefe had a krausplosion that filled my entire fermenting fridge (bar fridge). Took ages to clean up. Garage still smells like weihenstephan.

Yeah, may be reading too much into it, just strnage as everything else went well (eg fridge temp, etc) The thing what worried me was the grav reading. I'll give it a taste tonight.

Thanks for the feedback

Can you elaborate on how you are taking a measurment of the current gravity?
Some people still use a refractometer during fermentation which (even with a correction factor) can be way out. If it is a hydrometer, then are you sure of your OG?
Some more info on the recipe will help. Like how much of each malt, and volume of wort.

Latest posts

Back