Yeast half pkt storage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
Ive been trying to get my pitch rates a bit better and when Brewfather software tells me to use 1.5 packets of yeast I store the remaining half pkt of yeast in foil, wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge. Is this what others do? Here in NZ the cost of say US-05 is around $8 and even higher at some shops so 2 packets adds significantly to the over all cost and I am a cheap charlie. Any other ways or am I good to go?

Take your dried yeast and make a starter, split that starter into 6 smaller starters. Use a starter to make a starter then pitch into our brew...

You should be able to easily get 20-30 brews out 1 packet of yeast

Do you have a Vacuum sealer? That will re seal a yeast packet.

I've just made a starter, brew and fermented with a half packet of M21 Witbier yeast that's been sitting in my keezer for over two years. It powered away as the starter and just as well in the fermenter. For two dollars worth of LDME it is worth the try to see id it's viable. Just now need to get another fridge for all the potential starters !

Back