Quantcast

Yeast From Brewpubs?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have noticed on a couple of the US forums that it seems to be fairly common practise for a home brewer to get 'a pint of active yeast' from a local brewpub. Sometimes they do it for that particular style, or alternatively they have a dud fermentation and need to kickstart it in a hurry.

Has anyone had any experience here? Are brewpubs here friendly enough towards the homebrewer to go to that extent?!

I realise there are a lot less brewpubs / micros here, but somehow I couldn't see myself walking away from one with a pint of yeast, however charming I was...

:p

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Hi worty,
Yeap if every time you go to one carry a sanitized bottle with you and who knows what you could leave with. All you have to do is ask and most likely you may recieve.
I have grapped yeast from one a couple times before but ussually forget all about it because iam to busy drinking the fine beer and leave without my yeast.

Jayse

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Yep. I got some (yeast cake) last weekend.
It is now fermenting two beers, with the rest in a starter.

Beers,
Doc

Sean

Reaction score
The vast majority of the yeast I used for brewing when I was in England was scrounged in this way from a local micro. In the days before yeast banks that's how commercial brewers worked - scrounging yeast off each other whenever their own dropped below par, and it's still how a lot of smaller breweries in the UK work.

quincy

Reaction score
Wortgames

Gerard M was offering yeast slurry from Paddy's a few weeks ago.
It was the WLP005 British Ale strain.
Not sure if it's still available.

Cheers

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Reaction score
How about the winning brewer of Gerard's comp gets to take away some of the yeast slurry?

Asher

Junctyard Brewing
Reaction score
I've had luck at the "Feral Brewery" in WA....
Gave me a 600ml water bottle full of slurry. Told me the strain too, but prefered if I kept that to myself :ph34r:

Asher for now

Gerard_M

Reaction score
At Paddy's all you have to do is ask. We supply the sterilised container.
Cheers
Gerard

Hoops

Reaction score
Top stuff Gerard, good to see you helping out the homebrewers

Hoops

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
Well I have to say I am filled with malty, hoppy love at these stories!

I guess we all have the same holy grail (to see quality beer usurp bland evil capitalist pig brew). One of the problems of brewing my own beer is that I don't get out to pubs as often as I otherwise would (and I hear rumours of some good ones springing up), so I can see I'll have to start making the effort. Anyone organising a Victorian pub crawl in the near future?!

I'd better start sanitising some jars...

facter

Reaction score
Asher said:
I've had luck at the "Feral Brewery" in WA....
Gave me a 600ml water bottle full of slurry. Told me the strain too, but prefered if I kept that to myself :ph34r:
jeez, i got out there all the time - next time I'll have to see if I have any luck :)

ahhh, especially as I'm doing a wit soon ..... mmmmmm Feral Wheat...

Latest posts