Yeast from bottle of beer...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
I was just reading a recipe about cultivating yeast from beer from coopers...they said use kit yeast or cultivate

from commercial beer.

When you put sugar in bottle to carbonate it works because there is yeast in there....so...

Why can you not just open 3 bottles of the desired beer you want the yeast from and tip in the FV instead of the yeast starter..

It may not be perfect but it should work?? If you are making a pale ale use pale ale beer... so

recipe is not changed much or at all....

.... you could do on a cheaper brew and then keep the yeast for next brew? Like the cheaper brew is a starter :)

I was just reading a recipe about cultivating yeast from beer from coopers...they said use kit yeast or cultivate

from commercial beer.

When you put sugar in bottle to carbonate it works because there is yeast in there....so...

Why can you not just open 3 bottles of the desired beer you want the yeast from and tip in the FV instead of the yeast starter..

It may not be perfect but it should work?? If you are making a pale ale use pale ale beer... so

recipe is not changed much or at all....

.... you could do on a cheaper brew and then keep the yeast for next brew? Like the cheaper brew is a starter :)

The population of yeast cells in the bottle would be extremely low, risking stress on the yeast.

Better to pitch the dregs from the bottle on an appropriately prepared starter.

In regard to the Cooper's yeast, you don't want to ferment too warm otherwise you will get a banana flavour.

WJ

Its only because Coopers is a bottle fermented beer. Meaning its ferment carbonated in the bottle so you get a sediment that is the yeast. Check on thier site they encourage and give tips on how to build up their yeast.
Not many beers on the shelf selection that are good for that. I vouch for culturing up Coopers yeast its a beautiful Ale yeast IMO. If you successfully build it up the yeast literally smells like fruit salad to me. Most other yeasts smell more like bread to me. It is a task that must be done with rigid hygiene thinking and handling though. As for all yeast culturing.

Thanks
Are you saying they carbonate their beer in the bottle, that means they will have to store a week at least, then maybe a week in transporation/distribution and then standing in stock/on the shelf in store... I have watched a lof of 'how beer is made' (commercial) videos and they never mention how the beer is carbonated (Co2 forced or sugar fermentation) .... I know Coopers have live yeast .... how do you find out about other brands, I know some brewers pastuerize bottles so that will be no good..

cheers

It should be fairly clear from the bottle if it contains yeast or not (crap at the bottom or a notice on the label saying bottle conditioned). Most commercial beers that are obtainable easily in Oz don't. Coopers is the exception .

Even if it has yeast, it's often a different bottling strain from that used to make the beer.

Plus any crap at the bottom might not in fact be yeast...

Best bet is to research a particular beer if you think you might want to use their yeast.

Back