Yeast For Chocolate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazar

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've decided to attempt the Coopers Chocolate Stout from their website. Would the kit yeast suffice or is there a better substitute? My aim is to have this age for a few months as well. Also, the recipe calls for 50ml chocolate essence, can this be swapped for something cheaper like chocolate topping?

Don't use chocolate topping. Well, I mean, I suppose you *could* use it but chances are it wouldn't work the way you think and there's probably preservatives etc in it that might cause problems.

There's always better yeast than kit yeast, but there's nothing wrong with using it (you're not trying to win competitions here). The trouble is that for some unknown reason the kits only come with 7g of yeast which is not *really* enough for 99% of beers. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. For a heavy stout or something you might want to consider buying more yeast.

Thanks mate, a bloke just suggested I swap the essence which quite expensive with some high cocoa dark chocolate so I'll give that a go. I could always grab another packet of Coopers yeast and use both I guess.

Thanks mate, a bloke just suggested I swap the essence which quite expensive with some high cocoa dark chocolate so I'll give that a go. I could always grab another packet of Coopers yeast and use both I guess.

Nottingham is my choice for stouts.

Ditto the S-04. And don't skimp on the chocolate. If the liqueur essence isn't an option try one of the methods here. There's also plenty of forum posts here on adding the high-percent cocoa choccy bars.

Back