Yeast flavour compounds - looking for reliable source material

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrosx

Reaction score
I'm looking for the source of some "information" I have rattling around in my head.... I need something more solid that "some guy at the pub/on a forum said X"

The "information" is a quote along the lines of "Yeast can produce thousands more of flavour compounds - way more than grapes can" etc.

I think, more specifically, i'm thinking of a set of stats that went something like - "you can get 10 flavour compounds from malt, 100 from hops, 300 from grapes, but 1000 from yeast" - (but I made those numbers up, obviously - and I know that this thread is already going to derail in an exciting way... but oh well).

But I can't find a source for this at all - my Google-fu has failed me.

Does anyone know the actual source for this info? Or have I just made shit up in my head and then convinced myself that I've read it?

You could start with YEAST by Jamil Zainisheff and Chris White, but that doesn't have exactly what you're looking for.

Oregon State University has a research-focused brewing program and I've found their professors very approachable when asking for help. Asking them for help finding published sources is good because it gives them an out if they're too busy, and you some leads on authoritative sources.

Usually all you need is names of a couple professors researching what you're interested in. They all publish so once you have the name, finding the papers is pretty easy. That's where I'd start.

Mardoo: I've read Yeast fairly recently... I have a feeling that this comes more from marketing stuff.... along the lines of "why craft beer is going to outsell wine" or something

Spiesy: Only really arguing with myself at this point... It's just one of those things that I read somewhere, now quote to sound smart... but can't actually now find the original source.

IIRC it was mentioned in a beersmith podcast that yeast contribute up to 300 flavour compounds. Unfortunately it was on topic but never discussed any further or deeper on what the 300 were.

Back