Yeast Culturing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
Am just starting up in yeast culturing & am a little unsure of the correct proportions of agar & DME to use when making up blank slants. Is it 50\50? 30\70? or what? Any help here would be appreciated. :)

:beer:

Tidalpete said:
Am just starting up in yeast culturing & am a little unsure of the correct proportions of agar & DME to use when making up blank slants. Is it 50\50? 30\70? or what? Any help here would be appreciated. :)

[post="83807"][/post]​

The ratio is 10gms per litre of wort. I buy my agar from the local Asian supermarket and they come in 11gm pkts. I use the whole pkt and have had no probs with the media being too thick. It is best to dissolve the agar in a small amount of wort then add it to the main wort and stir like hell while heating on stove. Be careful of boilovers.

A good link is http://www.alsand.com/beer/yeast/index_E.html

Regards

Dodge

dodge said:
Tidalpete said:

[post="83807"][/post]​

The ratio is 10gms per litre of wort. I buy my agar from the local Asian supermarket and they come in 11gm pkts. I use the whole pkt and have had no probs with the media being too thick. It is best to dissolve the agar in a small amount of wort then add it to the main wort and stir like hell while heating on stove. Be careful of boilovers.

A good link is http://www.alsand.com/beer/yeast/index_E.html

Regards

Dodge
[post="83813"][/post]​

My thanks Dodge.

I make up 100 ml of media at a time which makes up enough to do about 10 plates. For appearances sake, you can boil and cool the DME solution and remove the hot and cold break prior to adding the agar. This gets rid of the cloudiness in the plate.

for 100 ml water
1.2 gms agar
10 gms DME
a tiny pinch of yeast nutrient

Watch out for boilovers.

There is already a very comprehensive thread on AHB on plating which covers this and many other issues you will need to know about.

Have a read of Sosman's brewiki site, which shows his plating success and lists many useful yeast culturing links.

Back