Yeast Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voosher

"British Ale Tragic" D.B. 2006
Reaction score
I've done some phoning around for small'ish vials for yeast storage and based on this and the experience of others and pending some additional information this is what I have.

Flat bottom polypropelene container, polyethylene lid.
30ml (dimensions 80mm x 27ml diameter)

From what I can gather pretty much the same as those doglet purchased before here . They seem to have gone up a bit but still cheaper than $24 per 50 which seems to be the approximate price for smaller purchases.

My preference is for the "3 star cap" model which is currently quoted at $165.55 for 900 (Just over $9 per 50 plus p+h).
If I can't fill that I will go for the alternative with a standard cap at $112.64 for 500 (Just over $11 per 50 plus p+h)

Other than price the only other difference I can ascertain at the moment is that the '3 star cap' is meant to be more user friendly. Bonus :D

Interest and feedback appreciated. I indicated earlier that I'd prefer to keep it to Adelaide only but I think I can handle posting these off Australia-wide as it appears as if there is a decent saving which makes it worthwhile for all.
If those who have responded already to my earlier post wish to they may reply here for purposes of confirmation but otherwise I will contact you separately.

If in the meantime I find a better deal I'll update as appropriate.

(What have I done?)
I'm just going to keep telling myself "You're not a real AHB member until you've organised a bulk buy".
Heaven help me.

Cheers.

(What have I done?)
I'm just going to keep telling myself "You're not a real AHB member until you've organised a bulk buy".

I know how you feel :lol:

I've done 2 now in as many months...

Hey voosher,

Size is a bit bigger than I was after, but I'll still take 50. What's the difference between the two cap syles?

Kai,

The cap thing is a bit of a mystery as I was speaking with someone who was basically just reading out of the catalogue. The 3 star cap is meant to be better - basically easier to screw on and off rather than providing any greater degree of sealing - and as they're cheaper I wasn't too concerned. It's more a matter of how many I can justify ordering. If we get to 900 then we're seemingly getting something slightly better and cheaper.

I would have considered smaller but the price starts to go up with smaller sizes. 30ml seems to be one of the 'standard' sizes. I figure it's easier to get 15ml of yeast into a 30ml container than it is to do it the other way around. :D

Early days I know, but at the moment I can justify the 500 so we're away. I'm happy to consider smaller batches - let's say multiples of 10.

Voosher,
Ill take 50 or more if it happens
Franko

Voosher,
Ill take 50 or more if it happens
Franko

You're in for 50 or more Franko
Edit: It's happening. It's now just a question of numbers.
I'll hone final numbers closer to the time I want close the order.

I thought for a second there you were going to offer labels for the vials.
(I would have trebled the price and split the profits if so :D )
But as it stands, it's all clear cut and above board, cost only. DAMN :(

Nice work Voosher
Ill take 50
Cheers Gregg

Tick :excl:
Cheers mate. You were in from before but thanks for the confirmation.
Is it 48 empty and two with the already discussed yeast samples?
Or am I presumptuous and/or confused?
Either way. 50's good.
Cheers.

Voosher, well done mate. I'm in for 50 if you don't mind posting to Sydney.

I'll take 50 - postage will be to Newcastle

Cheers,
cliffo

Hey Voosher
I will take 50. Funnily enough, I only ordered 50 off a place last night at $23 for 50! I will call em today and cancel. My postage will be to forster, if that is cool with you.
All the best
Trent

Just an update on numbers.
I have the following:

Kai 50
Franko 50 (minimum)
Gregg 50
Insight 50
Aaron 50
cliffo 50
Trent 50
Voosher/Others 150 (minimum)

Total 500.

We're at the 500 minimum.
I wouldn't mind closing this off Monday morning and ordering then. That should ensure I have them by the end of next week to post by Monday week at the latest.
If I've overlooked anyone please let me know.
Thanks for your responses.

50 for me tto Voosh.

not that I actually farm yeast or anything, but, a local bulk buy :rolleyes:

50 for me tto Voosh.

not that I actually farm yeast or anything, but, a local bulk buy :rolleyes:

Hehe. I love impulsiveness.
I just decided to First Wort Hop my American Brown on the basis of another thread :D

I think we're shooting for 900 now folks. Which means a little cheaper again and the "3-star cap"... whatever that really is.
Trouble is I'm not sure I can get any further discount for over 900 so it might be capped there. I'll check tomorrow.
Cheers.

put me down for 100 please. well as long as you dont mind posting to melbourne

Updated numbers

Kai 50
Franko 50 (minimum)
Gregg 50
Insight 50
Aaron 50
cliffo 50
Trent 50
wee stu 50
Archie 50(?)
NRB 50
brendanw 100

Voosher/Others 150 (minimum)

Currently available: Between 50 and 150'ish

On this basis I've gone ahead and ordered the 900. It's the cheapest way to get them unless I want to step it up to around 5000.
No thanks. :D

That sets the cost at $9.20 per 50 (plus p & h)
The containers weigh approx 10g each which puts us into something of a quandary.
Postage rates jump up at 500g, i.e for 50 containers.
If you want to save on postage I'm happy to ship 40 (which should get under the 500g limit) for those who have ordered 50.
If you want to maximise the value of postage you could up your order.
If you just want to wear postage with 50 that's fine by me too.
As a rough idea the savings on postage between under and over 500g seems to be $3.80 ($5 vs 8.80) using Parcel Post Satchels. Those costs seems to cover most places mentioned so far, i.e. Newcastle, Forster, Sydney, Melbourne.

I expect them by around the middle of next week. I'll post again closer to the time to provide details for exchange of my bank details and your postal addresses etc.
Cheers.

Back