Quantcast

Yeast comparison technique

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Hi All,
I want to do a comparison between Wyeast 1968 and 1099 for best bitters. I don't want to split a batch as the yeasts have different typical attenuations and I want to compare the two beers with similar body/mouthfeel. For this I want to have both batches end up with FGs as close as possible. Obviously for an objective comparison I need to keep as many of the variables the same for both batches.

So my question is, should I try to get the FGs equal by adjusting the OG up for the more attenuative yeast, or should I do it by adjusting the mash temp (i.e. have the same OGs as well)?

All advice welcome.

nala

Reaction score
I would like to know the answer also, not necessarily with the yeasts that you are comparing.
I was hoping to hear from a forum member who has the ability to brew say, a 50 litre volume brew which can be split 50/50
and then using two yeasts for comparison and fermented at the same time and temperature.
I wonder at times, how much value is placed in yeasts to obtain something that it is almost impossible to compare, unless a brew
like I have suggested can be achieved.
I believe that we are different in our tastes and what is bitter or malty is difficult to determine just by discussion.

Barry

To thine own self brew
Reaction score
I would start with different mash temps, higher for the yeast with higher ADA. A higher OG with same FG will give more alcohol which would certainly impact on flavour, mouthfeel, etc.
The hard part would be to determine the difference in temperature. Maybe 2 oC?
There will still be some difference caused my the mash temps but most will come from the yeasts (from my experience).
Hope this helps.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Good point about the alcohol affecting the mouthfeel, Barry. I didn't think of that. I have my brewing software pretty well dialled in so I should be able to figure out the appropriate mash temps to get near enough to my desired FGs. Thanks, mate.

Latest posts