yeast cake fail?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurule

Reaction score
Hi.

I have made a bit of a stuff up. I brewed a 50ibu Ipa with cascade/amarillo with Us05.

I wanted a quick brew after and dumped on a Coopers Lager and BE2 onto the yeast cake.

7 days later it has some metallic off flavours.

Now I dont need lectures about overpitching, racking onto higher gravity yeast cakes etc. I have researched since and discovered my blunder.

I just want to know if the flavours will settle down in time left in primary or if its a lost cause and I have lost a batch.

Thanks for any help.

Tip it, have never seen that metallic flavour do anything but get worse and even more unenjoyable as the beer ages.
Mark

You mixed the can of coopers and be2 as per the recipe?
Are you keging or bottles?

Just my 2 cents mine but this is what I would do.
1. Place in a secondary and do a D rest for two days at 18deg.
2. The cold crash for at least a week @ 3-4deg.
3. Keg it(I have kegs)leave for awhile then see. If your bottling then that's different matter it's a.lot of effort to bottle a brew that may not turn out.

Either way it's a learning experience,my feeling is it will be drinkable after some time.

More experienced brewers please chime in if I'm talking thru my ass.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
You mixed the can of coopers and be2 as per the recipe?
Are you keging or bottles?

Just my 2 cents mine but this is what I would do.
1. Place in a secondary and do a D rest for two days at 18deg.
2. The cold crash for at least a week @ 3-4deg.
3. Keg it(I have kegs)leave for awhile then see. If your bottling then that's different matter it's a.lot of effort to bottle a brew that may not turn out.

Either way it's a learning experience,my feeling is it will be drinkable after some time.

More experienced brewers please chime in if I'm talking thru my ass.
What would be the point of a d rest with an ale yeast? It should already be around that temp for fermentation.

OP - As MHB said that metallic taste will more than likely get worse. If it's bearable you could keg it and drink it quickly but it is very unlikely it will go away.

your talking out ur ass!

Metallic flavour has thee common causes
Metal - as is in contamination with product of corrosion
Bacterial - as is in contaminated with bacteria
Very old kits/extract - see above for why.

None of this can be fixed, definitely not by a Diacetyl rest nor by cold crashing. in fact it as the beer matures it tends to stand out more.
If you feel compelled to post and you have no idea what your talking about take a couple of seconds to Google the question before you do, might help the person who asked the question, you might even learn something and there is a greatly reduced chance that you will get a reputation for talking out your ass
Mark

Lol. I ferment all my ales at 15-16 deg and D rest every thing I brew.
For me it's best practice.

I've been a Baker for 25 years and my reputation precedes me.Those that know me understand that.
As to your snide google comment that reflects on you.

Well you did ask to be told Scooby.

The moderator manticle asks if this could please be kept civil from all sides.

My experience of metallic is that unless you pretend it isn't there, not much will improve it.

No-one is suggesting that your ferment schedule is wrong scoob - just that it won't help in this circumstance.

Not that long ago MHB would have had a slap and a private message and a warning for being an ass on these forums Now, AHB has done a 180, by a mod and a 'ha - you asked for it' mentality?

Why have the rules relaxed? For a retailer?

BTW: a retailer insulting a reader. Welcome to my list of retailers I will not buy from nor recommend.

Cube said:
Not that long ago MHB would of had a slap and a private message and a warning for being an ass on these forums Now, AHB has done a 180, by a mod and a 'ha - you asked for it' mentality?

BTW: a retailer insulting a reader. Welcome to my list of retailers I will not buy from nor recommend.
I think you've misunderstood and misrepresented my intention there Cube.

Cube said:
Not that long ago MHB would have had a slap and a private message and a warning for being an ass on these forums Now, AHB has done a 180, by a mod and a 'ha - you asked for it' mentality?

And precisely which forum rule has he breached?
Responding as the poster asked?

Ok thnks. Might taste again in a week. If no good I will tip it. Sadly.

At least you get to brew again :D

We've all struggled though a keg or tipped beer at some point. Makes the good one's more memorable.

I'll usually try to struggle through a bad beer as penance for making such a shit beer.

Bad beer lasts longer worst beer is when its drinkable but you know its not right but is drinkable.

wbosher said:
I'll usually try to struggle through a bad beer as penance for making such a shit beer.

Me Too! Although I usually blend with good beer, never great beer, but with something else on tap that is good.

Screwy

MHB said:
your talking out ur ass!

Metallic flavour has thee common causes
Metal - as is in contamination with product of corrosion
Bacterial - as is in contaminated with bacteria
Very old kits/extract - see above for why.

None of this can be fixed, definitely not by a Diacetyl rest nor by cold crashing. in fact it as the beer matures it tends to stand out more.
If you feel compelled to post and you have no idea what your talking about take a couple of seconds to Google the question before you do, might help the person who asked the question, you might even learn something and there is a greatly reduced chance that you will get a reputation for talking out your ass
Mark
He's right you know, some beers you can't drink. Metallic and diacetyl are on my list, I'd rather drink a glass of fish sauce.

Batz

Never heard of a Diacetyl rest for ale yeasts......what temp do you rest it at?

Steve said:
Never heard of a Diacetyl rest for ale yeasts......what temp do you rest it at?
Believe it, read the websites of Wyeast and White Labs and many of their various strain details, and you'll see they advise a diacetyl rest for many of their yeasts.
You only really need to go somewhere from 2 to 4 degrees C up to achieve it.

There you go. Thought diacetyl was ok (in very small amounts) in a few ale styles hence the confusion. Ive never experienced it in any of my AG ales.....but then again I used to mostly use dry yeasts.

Latest posts

Back