Yeast Blending

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
"So did you have a sandshoe blow out or did you just F#*k Up? " "No Darryl, I just f#*ked up"

Ok so I was preparing a 1L starter for a strong scotch ale, and in my sleep deprived state I pitched a vial of Edinburgh Scottish Ale WLP028 and then 10 min later for some reason pitched a vial of Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale.

It has gone off like a rocket but I was just wondering if it will make the beer taste funny (not funny ha-ha).

Anyone done this before?

Cheers
DK

I have a blend of S04 and US05 that has been used for a few generations now. I'm not sure if it's done any interbreeding/crossing (can't find any good info on this) but the beer does display characteristics of both yeasts.

DK I do it on purpose not mistakenly like you.

I do it from to time to time in a particular style of beer with great success (Secret Squirl as I can't give my secret weapon away). I blend Wyeast 1084 with 1056. The 1084 gives me the ester and malt profile I am after and the 1056 because it is such a clean yeast doesn't knock my profiles around but is used to dry the beer out to point that the 1084 can not reach.

Now unlike Nick I wouldn't try to culture it.

Cheers

Chappo

I would have thought these yeasts would have complimentary characteristics. Sounds good to me.

Normally when I blend yeasts, tho, I do it on purpose, adding a different yeast along the way during fermentation.
Most commonly adding brett-blend after primary fermentation has stopped around 1010 to get it down under 1000.

necro is better than a new thread..

made a small whoopsie and blended Greenbelt and US-05 and has taken off like a scalded cat..

My first Yeast blend :) The 05 was second gen and the Greenbelt was third.

Ive got a few APA's and IPA's lined up in the cube so will try to keep em busy :super:

Back