Yeast and Wort/Hop Combinations That Surprised

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you always brew to style?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Usually

• Never- I brew with beetroot, carrots and dates.

• Total voters

jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.
Reaction score
Part of the fun with this hobby is experimenting- the choices in beer styles are amazing and we sometimes bastardise styles with different hops, yeast and grain choices, and find little gems that just work.

There is Tony's example of brewing a stout with saison yeast which many have tried.

Some combinations that have worked really well for me-

A hoppier version of Tony's LCBA clone with Wyeast French Saison and it was amazing.

Wyeast 1762 at 18' in an APA which turned out great.

Wyeast Whitbread 1099 at 18' in an American Red Ale (West Coast style) was one of me best.

A cube of Marzen dumped onto a yeast cake of wyeast 1272 and allowed to chug away at about 14' during winter. This turned out fantastic.

No real surprises when you look at the neutrality of some of the yeasts above (not including the saison), but what has worked for you?

Cheers.

i usually brew to style (since i'm fairly new and still getting used to it) so i wanna get the basics down before adding a whole bunch of new ingredients. i'd be keen to see what strange yeast/hop/style combos work though :)

I didn't answer the poll as even my 'brewing to style' is usually fairy fast and loose but I'm not a root vegetable kinda guy either.

I have both intentionally and unintentionally found combos that I liked:

*First Gold and Galaxy/Cascade in an AIPA (first gold used at bittering, flavour and aroma additions - I since use it in combination with many US 'C' hops, just like using EKG as the bittering and background flavour in the original Argon LFPA recipe, I am keen to try similar things with fuggles).

*Wy3711 and intensely rich dubbel grists…lots of caraaroma and such…call it a bier de garde and it's no longer all that strange I guess.

*Saaz and cascade hop burst APA. Serious. Made an early mistake making Tony's Bright Ale. Then repeated it intentionally many years later in a quaffable pale ale.

Hope this thread turns up some interesting ideas :icon_cheers:

I busted out a Blonde Ale with 71% Pilsener malt and WLP051 that had some blonde lovers deaply confused but they all really enjoyed it,

Funny you say that about Tony's LCBA. The first rime I brewed it I used Czech Saaz too and it was great.

I'm about to crack the grain for a hefe with WB06 @17' and I'm thinking of using some Riwaka at 60 minutes.

Latest posts

Back