Yeast And Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishard

Reaction score
Ok being only new to this what do you blokes think of rehydrating dry yeast and proofing the yeast as a worth while step for a new brewer as out lined in John Palmers book?? I don't think I am ready to spend the money on liquid yeast just yet as I need more experience.

Also what else do you blokes do to areate the wort prior to pitching the yeast?

Thanks

I've always given my dry yeasts at least a good rehydration before use. I think it's a good way of double checking that the yeast is alive and well, and gives it a small headstart on the whole fermentation dealie if fed into a starter.

I fill the fermenter for my kit brews by placing the fermenter on the ground and streaming the water in from a benchtop filter. Combined with regular stirring as I fill gives me a nice frothy wort. Probably the simplest way to aerate your wort is to pour it between fermenters a few times, but bear in mind this does leave the wort exposed to the environment.

Ive had enough of slow/stuck ferments. I'm getting an airstone as soon as possible. From reports here that is the most effective way of getting good aeration.

cheers

Fishard
I used to just stir the hell out of it to get air into the wort but after many brews with a sore arm and splashing sticky wort everywhere I decided I would try a cheap aquarium pump and plastic airstone.
I think it is a cheap investment well worth the cost as it saves heaps of time and effort and improves your fermentation
Hoops

Making a nice big yeast starter with the dry yeast the day or so before really helps to kick off your fermentation quickly once you pitch it ,even with less than satisfactory aeration. The transfer from the kettle to fermentor and a good shake once in the fermentor is all I've ever done without ever getting a stuck ferment.

Hey Hoops, how long do you leave the aerator running before you pitch? Also, did you get the airstone at the same place as the pump?

- Snow

Snow
bought them both at a pet store - both are used for fish tanks.
Got a normal air pump plus a length of hose and a plastic aeration stone.
Can't remember how much but probably about $20 (the plastic aeration stone was about $1)
Hoops

watch the "stone" doesn't brakedown into bits in the beer. I went through 2, and they both started to stuff up, so i ended up buying the SS .5micron (no more foam worries)

they are not cheap at $20 from Grain and grape but i am happy i bought it

What wattage on the pumps are you guys using. I was just in big w and noticed they had a 3.5 and a 4.5 watt pump. $15 and $22. Is 3.5 enough to run it?
Ben i rang G&G and they have the stainless ones for 29.95.
They recommended the 2 micron one with an aquarium pump.
I'm getting one this Saturday if I find a way to get to the G&G.

cheers

How long do you guys leave the aerator running for?

- Snow

Ben,
I have a lot of foaming weth my homemade air manifold. Are you saying that a proper airstone will solve this problem?

I just received a couple of 2 micron airstones from B3, and was going to start a thread on this very topic today, but someone has beaten me to it....
anyhow, for those of you who do use a 2 micron stone (with a filter), what size (brand, model) of pump have you found successful? I don't really want to spend time back and forth to the pet shop, trying out different models until I find one that works...

dreamboat

I pitch the yeast and airate at the same time. I started off going mad and giving it 15min hits about 6 times (15min as it usually foams up too much). Now I just give it one blast of 15 - 20 mins and that is it. Works a treat.

With no follow up's on this topic, I decided to "splash" out and spring for the el-cheapo aquarium pump from Big W, the 3.5 model.
I connected up the filter and stone, and the pump worked happily when submerged in a bottle of water to test. Bubbles were very fine coming out of the stone, but tended to grow on the face of the stone into larger bubbles, and then escape to the surface. I can't comment as as I have not tried, but maybe a more powerful pump would blow the fine bubbles out from the stone and lead to better aeration?
I intend on building a small timer based controller to run the pump, and allow me to get short run times and then pauses, to prevent the formation of excess foam... i will keep you posted on this.

dreamboat

Considering this more, I might have a go at blowing through the tube, to see if I can change the nature of the bubbles by changing the strength of the blow... cheaper than buying another, larger, pump to see if it will make any difference.

dreamboat

Hi Dreamboat,

Im not sure i understand what you are going to do. BUT i wouldnt blow bubbles into a fermenter using the plastic hose and your MOUTH!? Instant contamination! well maybe not instant!

Cheers
Adam

Never fear oats.... just looking at doing some testing in a bottle of water!

dreamboat

Back