Yeast - 1318 London Iii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Used 1318 London III for the first time & being my first AG don't want any stuff ups...

Racked to secondary after 1 week & the yeast had formed a thick carpet over the surface - I'm asuming this is because it's a true top fermenting yeast? - I skimmed this off before transferring as I assume it's not wanted in the secondary? - I dry hopped with plugs (secondary) which I know float on the surface, will this cause a problem with the top fermenting yeast or should I have waited to CC before hopping?
If I wish to cultivate this yeast do I use what I've skimmed off the top (pic) or should I just stick with splitting the original starter?

Thanks guys...

surface_yeast_cake_from_1318_London_III.jpg

Hi Ross,
This is what to expect from this yeast, Some of the yeast flocculate to the top after their done. I don't worry to much about getting some of this into your secondary vessel as it should settle out in time. I have had beers ready for kegging still with yeast floating on top, i just do my best to avoid transferring it.

The main thing i would think with using the yeast from the top is getting a clean sample. If you taste the krausen at different times you'll find it can be bitter as all hell.
As far as dry hoping you should be fine there shouldn't be a great deal of yeast come back up to the surface now you have racked it leaving most behind.
Other yeasts simliar to this i have found are 1272 american II and 1338 euroale.
The term top cropping is ussually used for these chararistics in yeast.

Happy brewing.
Jayse

Thanks jleske, but how do you store it once skimmed? In boiled water or what?...
Does it still float or will it sink if stirred/shaken?

Ross, I'm sure this is not the best method but what I have done is simply skim on day one, toss that, then the next day skim the yeasties (a fair amount of liquid comes alone for the ride) and pour into a stubbie (pung on an airlock for a few days), place the stubbie in a fridge. The longest I've stored is two months with no problems. Be warned though, I've had a gusher from one bottle that put yeasties on the ceiling and all over the kitchen, a real mess.

Ross said:
Hi guys,

Used 1318 London III for ...
[post="47936"][/post]​

Yeah G'day,

Any suggestions for what beers this yeast would be good for?

UC, I have this in my collection but haven't done much with it, as it seemed a bit 2 neutral in the beer I made. It's going to waste, I think. I like yeasts that add flavour, and maybe that's why I'm the Weizguy :beer:

Please help.

Sethule :p

I love Youngs beers (South London brewery) which this yeast apparently comes from - so giving it a try, more than that I cannot tell you...
Do you have a favourite yeast for pommie bitters?

Ross said:
I love Youngs beers (South London brewery) which this yeast apparently comes from - so giving it a try, more than that I cannot tell you...
Do you have a favourite yeast for pommie bitters?
[post="48001"][/post]​
Haven't tasted too many Pommie bitters and have actually made a nice bitter on very few occasions (once used Yeastlab American ale yeast at 16C to get an appley-fruity taste).

Still open to suggestions, esp if you have a Young's clone recipe for me ;)

Seth Young :p

Back