Yarra Valleybrewers Belgian Beerfest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patience is a virtue mate... YVB are a predominantly older club and I doubt too many of their members are active here... I am sure an email will go out soon or else they will pop up on VicBrew before long.
Mate when have I ever been accussed of being virtuous! Well done to all place getters

Don't suppose the beer was a Strong Dark Ale brewed by a bloke called James?
I understand this may be the case...
The bloke won best beer , and best novice...
Got my glass today ( Michael Bowron judged yesterday and had it )
It looks good on the mantle piece !
Thanks YVB !

Results are up on the Vicbrew website. Remember to hit refresh if you've been polling the site over the last few days :icon_cheers:

I finished in the bottom half with my Saison. My efficiency was way down from a previous batch that had scored highly in another comp. I was still happy to drink it though. So it will be interesting to see what the feedback sheets say!

My straight Saison scored way better than the Raspberry Saison collected second for.
Feels a bit like ive won heaviest fish with a little tiddler. Something to build on though.

looking forward to the feedback.

well done to all.

yeah im interested in feedback on my tripple. im guessing its youth and alc was still a bit much

still a 8th, 1st and 3rd from 3 entries isnt too shabby. although looking at the specialty cat scores ill be interested too feedback on those. although having the hanging judge on the panel explains a lot.

Yes, well done to all place getters!

What's the go with trophies, prizes etc? Will they be sent via post?

well done to all.

yeah im interested in feedback on my tripple. im guessing its youth and alc was still a bit much

still a 8th, 1st and 3rd from 3 entries isnt too shabby. although looking at the specialty cat scores ill be interested too feedback on those. although having the hanging judge on the panel explains a lot.

Not getting the joke about the hanging judge? :huh:

Not getting the joke about the hanging judge? :huh:
riggers is known as a hanging judge.
given that it has to be a max 7 point spread for the scores it wasnt a completely fair quip from me. but it was only that, a quip, not serious remark.

good results for all. v high scores in cat 1. would have been a hard flight to judge

Got home from work to find the judging sheets in the mail box.

One of them was bang on, with specific flaws that I should be able to correct.

The other pointed out that that the characteristics of X ingredient was too dominant, and that I perhaps hadn't processed it properly. Shame I didn't use any X.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to tweak for next time :icon_cheers:

HI CM2; Myself & Sam Gerbert have found ourselves sitting at the judging table quite a bit in the bast year with Riggers at the club comps, despite his strong critical character I've not found it to flow through on the score sheet & more often than not i've found myself scoring lower than him.

I know you're just being tongue in cheek, I just though I'd give my 2c worth of experience with his judging to debunk the myth. He is one of the best judges I've seen around & has an excellent technical tasting ability. I have to say out of the last 8 judging sheets I've got back only one has been spot on & that was Andy Davidson. the rest: 5 were very poor technically & 2 were techincall good but failed to read the guidelines & judged on their opinion of a style.

logging off for now; drink up & have a nice evening.

I'd like to give out some props firstly to Charles for organising the comp and to the top three placegetters in the light coloured ale category; we put a lot of thought into splitting the scores for the top three; repeated tastings were required.

Also picked the winner before results were in, by the way judges on the dark coloured ale table were holding oh-so tightly onto their glasses of that particular beer. Must have been a good one.

Going to rereview score sheets tomorrow but it seems some inexpedianced judges.
Riggers seemed to have best judge sheet and analysis despite score. He was spot on about a few tgings. Like % rye used. As opposed to judges in light cat. One said no malt another said heaps malt.

Most other sheets contradicted themselves/other judges. Kai hibberd and riggers (only 3 bjcp judges) got it right. I entered a v young triple and got the right feedback (to.a degree).

Interesting about the comnents on the bruin. Wyeast roselare and all they cohld taste was brett.. Obvious proof that culturing and splitting isnt recomended as it should have all sorts of stuff other than brett goin on. And thay beer was 2 yrs old. So moral of story us all of the yeast or be very careful of how u split it, as u mighy get more of one yeasyt than another.

Anyways kudos etc to all involed.. Good comp. See u next comp

Interesting about the comnents on the bruin. Wyeast roselare and all they cohld taste was brett.. Obvious proof that culturing and splitting isnt recomended as it should have all sorts of stuff other than brett goin on. And thay beer was 2 yrs old. So moral of story us all of the yeast or be very careful of how u split it, as u mighy get more of one yeasyt than another.
It's generally not advised to split/store or reculture yeast and/or yeast-bacteria blends.
When they are packaged the company is able determine best percentage of each strain to include, however if it's stored, split or recultured at home, its very easy for one strain to become dominant at the expense of the others - which is likely what happened with the beer you entered.
(Personally, Lacto and Brett are not coming anywhere near any of my home-yeast-culturing setup.) :)

It's generally not advised to split/store or reculture yeast and/or yeast-bacteria blends.
When they are packaged the company is able determine best percentage of each strain to include, however if it's stored, split or recultured at home, its very easy for one strain to become dominant at the expense of the others - which is likely what happened with the beer you entered.
(Personally, Lacto and Brett are not coming anywhere near any of my home-yeast-culturing setup.) :)
cracked a bottle after posting that (I havent tried it in a few months) and yup brett has taken over. and yeah i know wyeast says not to split, but hey, live and learn. besides it was fine when it was younger. brett is prob stringer than lacto and pedd.

OT - dude, funky brews rock, get into it. I got a plum braggot with Brett aging right now and it smells incredible.

anyways, congrats to YVB, they had a 77%increase in entries from last year. thats a huge effort.

Latest posts

Back