Yakima Valley hop bulk buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarmael

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm ordering some hops from Yakima Valley Hops (linky), and thought I'd open this to the public. I've ordered from these guys in the past and they're really good, having bulk hops is really cheap and a great excuse to make big hoppy beers.
Order cannot exceed 16 pounds, so if you're ordering pound bags (like me) this order will fill up quickly. First in... Best beer, as they say.
Split bags are welcome, and they cannot export hop leaf, only hop pellets.
Prices are in US$

I have eyes on:
2 x 8ou Citra (they're out of 1lb bags)
1 x 16ou CTZ
1 x 16ou Cascade (open to split with anyone who wants it)

I have eyes on Simcoe, Chinook and Centennial if anyone is up for split bags

Shipping prices are:
4lbs = $33
8lbs = $66
16lbs = $86
Split evenly among buyers

I'm based in Brisbane, the drop-off point is open to discussion. i.e. if there are more Melbourne buyers then it makes more sense to deliver it down there and split it that way.

How to the prices compare to locally sourced bulk hops?

It compares quite well.

Yakima Valley are on sale at the moment, prices vary between $9.99-25 US
$9.99US = $13.20 AU (CTZ)
$12.99US = $17.14 AU (Chinook)
$14.99US = $19.78 AU (Centennial)
$18.99US = 25.05 AU (Simcoe)
(1lb bags or ~450g)

One local source: 500g for $30-38.
500g = 17ou

Another local source: 450g for $39.50-57.50

Looks good so far, but need to take into consideration the delivery expense

Update

Tarmael:
1lb Citra
1lb CTZ
1lb Cascade

Birkdale Bob:
1lb Amarillo
1lb Citra
1lb Cascade
2lb Galaxy

Interest in the aforementioned splits

Total:
8lb + possibly 3lb

Need another 8lb then we can close this deal.

Yup, Brisbane area. I work in Brisbane City and live in Holland Park, does this work for you? Can work something else out if needed.

What's your order?

Few things to watch out for in this arena.

AUD conversion to USD, depending on the gateway, exchange rates vary wildly, associated currency conversion fee as well is a hidden bitch.. (saying that, the conversion rate is the best it's been for a while if all gates have caught up)

Postage add on within Australia if you aren't in the destination city and picking up, example, if it's a 3 way split on the us postage, you'll pay 28 USD to land in the country then on shipping with Aus Post so say roughly $50 AUD in postage alone.

If you do the numbers, you might save a few bucks and see your Hops in 2-3 weeks.

Not poo pooing just making players aware of the factors at play.

Yeah, I plan to do the numbers before the final call is made, if it's a couple bucks difference then there's really no point going ahead.

when you are doing the figures, allow about an extra $20 for the foreign currency translation fee, it's be in that order roughly.

its a prick to actually nail down an actual figure before they charge it to you, Im certain it doesn't 'cost' them that between themselves... fuckers...

and when doing a rough currency conversion yourself, always drop about 3-4c on the current rate, its how the bastards work, they essentially skim your transaction for it, they certainly don't use the published rates...

Again, not saying don't do it, just give it due diligence and avoid, or at least allow for, those hidden costs

Yob said:
when you are doing the figures, allow about an extra $20 for the foreign currency translation fee, it's be in that order roughly.

its a prick to actually nail down an actual figure before they charge it to you, Im certain it doesn't 'cost' them that between themselves... fuckers...

and when doing a rough currency conversion yourself, always drop about 3-4c on the current rate, its how the bastards work, they essentially skim your transaction for it, they certainly don't use the published rates...

Again, not saying don't do it, just give it due diligence and avoid, or at least allow for, those hidden costs
whose they?
cant you just get them to invoice in you in US$ and use one of the many credit cards that dont charge forex fees (Bankwest Platinum, 28degree etc etc)??

Most banks that don't charge a forex fee are making it back through small differences in exchange rate. For example, Paypal's exchange rate is slightly higher than a standard credit card exchange rate. No fee, but they make a bit more on every transaction. You'll always pay the difference in exchange rates between two currencies. No one is giving you parity at a loss.

Mardoo said:
Most banks that don't charge a forex fee are making it back through small differences in exchange rate. For example, Paypal's exchange rate is slightly higher than a standard credit card exchange rate. No fee, but they make a bit more on every transaction. You'll always pay the difference in exchange rates between two currencies. No one is giving you parity at a loss.
MOST being the main point there.
Cards like
- Bankwest Platinum Zero Mastercard
- 28Degree Mastercard
- Citbank Plus (Visa debit)

Will give you the visa/mastercard exchange rate for the day of the transaction, with no additional fees/costs. This is close enough to the mid-market rate that its not worth debating about the difference int he conversion rates. There is no 2-4c forex conversion difference as there is on paypal and most other credit cards (which is essentially the hidden forex fee)

These cards are worth getting for anyone who shops online from overseas or travels overseas. The $ saved in fees/exchange rate differences is substantial

And remember. a $ saved is a beer earned ;)

tarmael said:
Yup, Brisbane area. I work in Brisbane City and live in Holland Park, does this work for you? Can work something else out if needed.

What's your order?
No worries, that works for me.

I was thinking;
1lb Centennial
1lb Columbus (CTZ)
1lb Simcoe

and maybe a lb of either Citra, 007, Mosaic or Equinox

SBOB said:
MOST being the main point there.
Cards like
- Bankwest Platinum Zero Mastercard
- 28Degree Mastercard
- Citbank Plus (Visa debit)

Will give you the visa/mastercard exchange rate for the day of the transaction, with no additional fees/costs. This is close enough to the mid-market rate that its not worth debating about the difference int he conversion rates.
Are you saying that these providers will facilitate currency exchange at wholesale market rates?
I have never known a bank to to provide any service without making money off it.

Sorry for the slightly OT.

Spiesy said:
Are you saying that these providers will facilitate currency exchange at wholesale market rates?
I have never known a bank to to provide any service without making money off it.

Sorry for the slightly OT.
Yep, the bank charges no fees or exchange $ variations to foreign transactions, and the exchange is done at the official visa or mastercard forex rate

e.g. for those mastercard cards (https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/)
- a USD->AUD transaction for yesterday would have been done at 0.761400
- looking at the exchange rate yesterday (xe.com) shows the market fluctuated between (roughly) 0.760 and 0.764 with an average around the 0.762 mark.
-> So both visa and mastercards exchange rate reflects the mid-market rate for that day pretty accurately

As i said, these cards can save you hundreds of $ on an overseas vacation and many $ every year if you are buying things online in overseas currencies regularly

Yob said:

Precisely that, I'm with CBA, there's usually an international transaction fee tacked onto each purchase.
EDIT: Checked some recent international transactions, it's either bundled into the cost or they don't charge a forex fee.

I'll try to give a rough guestimate of what the figures will be, ultimately transparency is the key to good transactions and relations, so I'll post the receipts and hidden costs to those involved and post a total cost on this thread if we get that far and go ahead.

Newcastle permanent puts there bit on top. Would have been great to know this when I made a $15k engine transaction would have saved me hundreds!

yep, these cards can save you big time, compared to the extra 2-4% fees many banks have (and some even charge stupid exchange fees when billing in AUD but the billing company is overseas)

Latest posts

Back