Yahoo stuffed - Any good altrenatives?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
My ymail stopped working the other day. It wouldn't let me type in any field. I joined a ymail users group and apparently Yahoo is having major problems with the new release and heaps of users have had up to 15 years of contacts emails and data wiped.

I lost all my contacts, every purchase from Craftbrewer and 7 years worth of payslips. According to the user group several businesses are facing disaster.

I already have a Gmail account but any recommendations for an alternative? What pisses me off is that I get all my bills sent to Ymail as well as Centrelink notices etc but would prefer not to migrate them to Gmail as that's for friends and family.

You can have as many Gmail accounts as you want, link them together or keep them seperate. I had work gmail, and three business emails going to two different gmail accounts. Just switch backwards and forwards between them on android or have two tabs open on the pc.

Do you think they'd mind? :p

Google is the new evil but I expect they are reliable and not on the slippery slope like Yahoo seem to be.

Edit: yes Outlook seems a bit more advanced - I used to have Outlook Express back in the old 486DX 33 / dailup days before web based email got popular and it was spam and virus heaven. I expect they've firmed it up since then. I used to get around 150 spam messages a day.

Man, that sucks pretty bad. Have Yahoo said they're actually gone or is this just a temporary thing?

None of the tech sites I read have jumped on this yet. Just localised to Australia maybe? Seems a bit unlikely though.

Too late to help Bribie, I guess, but after reading the above, I was able
to set up MS Outlook on my home computer to suck all my Yahoo email
messages to home computer.

On the Yahoo mail client, click on the Help (under the icon that looks like
a gear cog) and take it from there - very good instructions on setting up my
Outlook 2003 to download the emails using POP3. Note that the first time I
tried to use the Outlook Send/Receive command it failed but it tried it again
and it then proceeded with downloading every email.

Ugh! ... Just realised only the emails in the Inbox were downloaded.
Bit of a hassle but can create an Inbox_TEMP folder in Yahoo mail,
move all Yahoo Inbox messages to Inbox_TEMP.

Then for each folder you want to download to your computer, move
them to the Yahoo Inbox, download them to your Outlook, refolder
them as needed. Then repeat for each Yahoo folder you want to
download for back up. A hassle but doable.

If your craftbrewer purchases are important to you you can also see them directly on their website.

As for emails, I download everything via an email client as I don't trust anyone to not ever stuff up, get hacked or whatever.

According to my Yahoo users group it seems to be Australian only. Apparently a server got hacked, but nobody else seems to be getting any joy from the technical department.

I'm really glad that the Yahoo stupid girly boy avatars are being discontinued. Talk about design-a-bimbo or design a metro idiot. I once commented on Armstrong's obviously Yahoo generated avatar but he didn't pick up on it -

Let's face it on any help forum would you seriously accept any opinion or hint from anyone who looks like this? Apart from maybe shoe size advice.

Edit: DU99 you may have missed it but in that link you posted if you go to the first message you will see a reference to the exact problem I posted about - also I took the opportunity of expressing my opinion about the avatars. Naughty boy.

annoying avatars.jpg

Back