XXXX Brisbane to close

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"local image" didn't stop Lion closing down Swan and moving production to West End. I dunno if any WA forum members are aware of whether there were local protests, or did it just go under most peoples' radar?

Here's a prediction. Within five years most bottled and canned megaswill will be brewed and imported from Vietnam or possibly NZ with only pub tap beer still brewed here (because of keg return issues). Either that or the overgravity "beer" concentrate will be imported in huge bladders and liquored back here for packaging, or in the case of tap beer, sent out to pubs and served post mix style at the bar.

Couldn't be a better time to be a home brewer.

Wonder how long the megaswill will last with that style of brewing, the race to the bottom. I always find it a shame when companies choose to opt for "cheaper" instead of quality. Mind you not that I'll weep any loss for the likes of them. I did like the big neon sign though.

"Union warns..." I would take that with a grain of salt. Whenever there's a pay negotiation on it's a battle of extremes: either the corporation is trying to drive them to slave labour or the place will close and 30 million Aussies will be out of business. I can see this thread becoming animated. I'm also betting that the Brisbane brewery will not be closing down any time soon and will be happy to to be quoted saying that.

"Union warns..." I would take that with a grain of salt. Whenever there's a pay negotiation on it's a battle of extremes: either the corporation is trying to drive them to slave labour or the place will close and 30 million Aussies will be out of business. I can see this thread becoming animated. I'm also betting that the Brisbane brewery will not be closing down any time soon and will be happy to to be quoted saying that.

As a union official I can assure you it's a very unusual tactic to talk up the prospect of a business closing during negotiations. Normally it's the boss who's peddling doom and gloom during wage negotiations

During the bus network review here the union was saying there'd be massive job losses and all this shit... never ended up happening. They're still training up and putting on new drivers now.

As boring and crappy as their beers are these days, the brewery is still a Brisbane icon and it would be a shame to see it shut down, especially since the powers that be up here have no regard for anything of historical value or significance.

Equally bold to state that it "will not close down". I find with these articles though that either party will omit facts to make the story better suit them, so I'm probably doing myself a disservice simply by commenting on it.

As a union official I can assure you it's a very unusual tactic to talk up the prospect of a business closing during negotiations. Normally it's the boss who's peddling doom and gloom during wage negotiations

I'm a Union Delegate and doing EBA negotiations at the moment. It's all the boss is telling us, "either we go backwards or we close"...

As boring and crappy as their beers are these days, the brewery is still a Brisbane icon and it would be a shame to see it shut down, especially since the powers that be up here have no regard for anything of historical value or significance.

I was explaining to a Kiwi bird that Hobart is such a pretty city and they've kept all their Georgian architecture. Never ceases to amaze me that they keep building Brisbane uglier and uglier. It's like they think they can be a Hong Kong (they never will) instead of preserving the heritage it does have. Macau and parts of Shanghai are testament to that fact.

lucky it's not in sydney, lend lease would have turned it into an office building by now.

We dont need office space but we do need more f$#%ing units, be a good spot that old ugly XXXX site right on the trainline..... need plenty of units for more rate payers to pay rates... not enough units in that area either... seems to make sense to me....

Back