Xmas Party Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nearly

Reaction score
What do you folk reckon is a simple beer that guests will like from the tap for a party at the end of November? I was after recomendations for a kit and ingredients beer that experience has shown most guests like.

I can ferment down to a lower average temp of say 16 - 18 degrees via wet towel or can steady temp with aquarium heater in outer tray of water to any temp over 20 degrees. I have fridge room for cold conditioning in cube as well as keg. (The ferment temps might start edging upwards here in Qld as the daily temp rises over spring.)

Any thoughts guys? Girls? We got any girls?

;) Try a 'BEERMAKERS Brand XXXX bitter.
I have brewed it lots of times and no complaints....
I use 500gm light malt powder and 500 Gm dextrose...should give you about 5%alcohol.
22 Deg C is perfect for the yeast provided...rack it into a
2nd fermenter after 5 days and leave it for 8 days then keg..if you pressurize it at 280 kpa for 3 days...take it outa the fridge and keep it in a cool place till November it will be a party winner....

Cheers

JWB

Hi Nearly,

In my experience you'll never satisfy everyone, especially with homebrew (people tend to have been burnt before and can be pretty closed minded), but for simple, easy drinking kit beers, in my opinion you can't go past the ESB 3 kilo kit range. The Australian draught is probably the easiest drinking option, comes with Safale yeast and brews really well at 18-20 degrees. It is pretty hoppy for a kit beer too, but maybe add some hallertau for that 'Aussie Premium' aroma. Brews even better with the Saflager W34/70 if you're able to keep it below 15 degrees (I've brewed both and both are good.)

ESB Czech Pilsner is even better, but needs to be brewed cold so might be a bit late in the year. Flavours might scare a few of the 'VB only' crowd as well. Best part about the ESB kits is the 'no essential additives' - can't get much simpler than that. :chug:

My two cents worth...

Nearly,

Here is a recipee for a golden Pilsner that came 3rd in the ACT State Championships in 2001.

Very easy to make...goes excellent with the summer.

GMK Munich Heles.

1 x Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner
1kg of Dextrose
50gms of Saaz Hop pellets for Dry Hopping
S189 German Larger Dry yeast.

Ferment beer as usual using instructions on can. Only top up to 20 ltrs. Make S189 Yeast starter and pitch yeast at 20 degrees.
Cool down over night to 16 degrees.
Ferment in primary for 10 days.
Optional Diacetyl rest for 2- 3 days at day 7.
Rack to secondary for 2 weeks. Dry hop with Saaz Hops.

Optional.
Rack to tertiary and larger in a fridge at 5 degrees for 2 to 4weeks.
Run thru pre keg filter into keg.
Presurise keg at 200 kpa over night ensuring keg is burped and rocked.

Then serve and enjoy.... :chug:

There have been a few guys from the forum make this. Lately i have used wyeast Munich Lager yeast...but this makes it a bit sweet...next time i will be going back to the S189.

Usual conditions of using my recipees prevail:
Iyou provide feedback, and
If i am ever up your way i get to sample a brew or two.

Hope this helps....

my $0.02
the grumpies master brew boston cream is a ripper.or special bitter.or pale ale.theres quite a few.they will have the punters talking about your beer for months.

but from bigw
the coopers draught can and brew booster.plus 1/2-1 oz of either cascade or northern brewer.is a great kit.

cascade and n.b are great for improving the ussual bigw brew kit.

Ken,
I have brew'd think - despite my FG of 1019 (after 3 weeks) it stayed there with the temp upto 20deg, it bubbled for a week (slowly) and then i took the gravity again and it was the same, so i have it in the cold now.

thats with calif lager yeast.

Whats the above yeast a liquid yeast? whats the temp range?

I am brewing a lager now with munch lager yeast finding it hard to brew at about 11 deg (then diactyl at 15deg for a few days at the end)

cant wait to try this beer,

Many thanks fellas for the advice. I will pick one and brew on the weekend.

...take it outa the fridge and keep it in a cool place till November it will be a party winner....

Is beer better do you think left out in the cool rather than lagered at 2-4 degrees in the fridge? (Not that I have much cool.... my place will go from 12 deg on a cool night to 30 degrees in the day now that summer is comming.) Just wondering whats better.

Guess im in a win win win situation here Nearly...

Because I live in Tassy it doesnt get much over 25 Degs C even in the middle of summer.
My brewery is under the house and has a constant temp of around 14 degs all year round...I guess if you get temps above 16 deg mark the fridge is the best place to store it.
I have left a barrel in the fridge for 2 months and another one with the same brew in it on the floor for 2 months just to see the difference...end result was not much...maybe the one outa the fridge was a little better but hard to pick.
Cheers

JWB

Back