Xmas-in-July Caseswap 2013 (SE QLD) Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lukiferj said:
What yeast did you use Rowy?
Notto. Hence losing some bitterness.

13. TheCarbinator - Red IPA

Big head, pours crystal clear golden colour. Pleasant hop aroma which I can't quite put my finger on. Balanced medium body & present but restrained bitterness. Taste of hops is almost spicy? I'm interested in the hop combo. Great lacing right down the glass. Lovely beer. Even the PM likes it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

bradsbrew said:
Kegs23 stout.

I had half of this bottle last night, did not keep the notes but will finish off the other half tonight and give proper feedback. One thing that stood out to me was that it was overpowered by a certain flavour my initial thought was too much black patent. Kegs did you use black patent in this one?

Cheers
bradsbrew
no black patent in this,,,

4.08 marris otter
0.68 chocolate malt
0.23 barley roasted
0.45 lactose
42g fuggles 60min
14g fuggles 30min

wyeast 1084 (irish ale)
when i checked at work i think the alcohol was 4.23%

3. Tazman1967 - Rye Saison

Lively carbonation. Deep red / tan colour. Hazy from yeast. Classic saison on the nose , with some rye spiciness, warming alcohol after the swallow. Coming to life as it warms up. Delicious. In sum, beer is as advertised: rye saison.

image.jpg

EDIT: Recipe pls

Was about to post a review of Tazman's Saison as well, but Liam has summed it up pretty well!

Nice beer!

Here's a pic anyway!

image.jpg

No 3 Tazmans Rye Saison

Rye Saison
Saison
Type: All Grain Date: 9/25/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l Brewer:
Boil Size: 35.14 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Peter 's Gear
End of Boil Volume 24.96 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 22.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 73.1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.80 kg Pilsen (Dingemans) (3.2 EBC) Grain 1 72.2 %
1.70 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 25.6 %
0.170 ml Candi Syrup, Dark (541.8 EBC) Sugar 3 2.3 %
52.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 4 21.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
20.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 3.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 24.8 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kcal/l
Est Color: 22.0 EBC
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Saison Mash Total Grain Weight: 6.65 kg
Sparge Water: 9.66 l Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 78.0 C Tun Temperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash Step Add 12.00 l of water at 63.7 C 55.0 C 10 min
Mash Step Add 4.00 l of water at 93.2 C 63.0 C 60 min
Mash Step Add 4.00 l of water at 92.0 C 68.0 C 10 min
Mash Out Add 13.00 l of water at 96.2 C 78.0 C 10 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 9.66l) of 78.0 C water
Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.7
Pressure/Weight: 164.73 g Carbonation Used: Bottle with 164.73 g Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21.1 C Age for: 14.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Storage Temperature: 18-20C
Notes: Dark Candy Syrup from CraftBrewer added at low Krausen. Fermented on the yeast for 4 weeks at 18-20C

Created with BeerSmith

Had 2.NickB Hoptamination IIPA earlier bloody nice beer hazy orange colour great aroma balanced well with firm bitterness. really enjoyed it mate. I read earlier on in this thread that summit was used. would you mind sharing to hop additions Nick? I have 1/2 a pound of summit in the freezer and after reading a thread on it im a bit cautious about using it. although there is 7g as a bittering addition in my swap beer

2. NickB - Hoptamination IIPA (ready)

Pretty much as per previous comments. This has a beautiful malt profile and a good, smooth and balanced bitterness. Just had no smack me in the face aroma! Pick up your game Nick!

:lol:

Would love to see your grain bill for this mate. I feel like a good IPA needs to come from my brewery soon...

12. Lukiferj - Oatmeal stout (ready)

Mate - where's the colour!? Get some balls up in that stout :)

Was a little lacking in the stout-i-ness which was expected from a brown coloured beer. No discernible fermentation issues.

I reckon a bit more body, a lot more dark malt and you're on to it. It is still a very drinkable beer :chug:

7. BPH87 - Mosaic Rye IPA

I had this after Nick's IIPA which may have been a mistake. I didn't particularly like it (nothing wrong with the beer, just either the hops or rye wasn't doing it for me).

Then last night I finished the bottle and wow - I really liked it. I must have had some bitterness fatigue after the day's sampling. Love the colour, love the weirdish flavour combo, yum.

just cracked 1. Winkle Saison Noir. pitch black in coulour low carbonation and thin head. has dark malt on the nose. the saison yeast is hard to pick but I figure that where the slight dry finish comes from. nice beer Perry

9. kegs23 - double chocolate coffee stout (ready)

After reading the other comments I was a little sceptical but I enjoyed this one. I think the cocoa is overdone as that was the dominant flavour I had. I drank it at 13 degrees as it's in the fridge with my fermenting schwarzbier :)

I wonder if those bad bottles has a bung seal or something, or if the others mistook the cocoa for oxidised?

Parks said:
12. Lukiferj - Oatmeal stout (ready)

Mate - where's the colour!? Get some balls up in that stout :)

Was a little lacking in the stout-i-ness which was expected from a brown coloured beer. No discernible fermentation issues.

I reckon a bit more body, a lot more dark malt and you're on to it. It is still a very drinkable beer :chug:
Cheers mate. I will look at brewing this again in a weeks time with some more balls! Will be good to compare. This is probably more of a porter than a stout.

Liam_snorkel said:
the one I got was definitely buggered.
Yeah, and I'm sure Nick's judged enough stouts to know the same. Sucks a bit.

Rowy said:
Well I've just had the Irish Red Ale. Not sure whose it is but can't see it on the list other than an RIS / IRA at number 20. Anyway bloody good beer. Great malt flavour....poured an average head but retention was fantastic......about right to style I'd say. The recipe on the label is nothing like an IRA particularly hops and yeast but it tastes lie a bloody good one. Whoever you are well done! This is like a great IRA but when you read the recipe shouldn't be.
Thanks Rowy,

We'll own up to this! Haha yeah not on style and has been changed a bit from the first time we made it! Glad you enjoyed it!

bradsbrew said:
Just drinking, 17- IRA, right now.

Would not class this one as an Irish Red. I would say its more a hybrid of a doppelbock and a strong bitter verging on strong ale.

Initial aroma was of resinous fruit and malt. Mouthfeel begins well rounded but fades to rather thin and dry(this is not a bad thing!)possibly due to acidity, has a slight astringency at the back end. Flavour is rich and malty but dominated by the prune/plum notes and is slightly acidic (perhaps age?).

Overall its a bloody nice beer, its a bit confused but good beers are not always about style and this is one of them to me.

Cheers
Thanks Brad,

Youre right about the age. This was a very different beer when young.

BenKen25 said:
Had 2.NickB Hoptamination IIPA earlier bloody nice beer hazy orange colour great aroma balanced well with firm bitterness. really enjoyed it mate. I read earlier on in this thread that summit was used. would you mind sharing to hop additions Nick? I have 1/2 a pound of summit in the freezer and after reading a thread on it im a bit cautious about using it. although there is 7g as a bittering addition in my swap beer
I was worried about Summit after reading US Brewers slagging off about it and the garlic odour, I haven't had any problems using it in extended boils as a bittering hop though.
I'll echo the others Nick, good bitterness, nice orange colour, balance good, maybe a touch resinous in mouthfeel but well balanced on the whole. A good one after some sours :), more seriously OTT aroma next time please.

Latest posts

Back