Xmas Came Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
Mate came round yesterday and dropped off 2 kegs, so now I have 3...happy days.

Question now is what kind of rig to build without going over the top and busting the bank. I can justify the outlay if it means building a rig once and not have to keep upgrading all the time, as in the long run you end up paying out more! I also have a 36L s/s pot fitted with a thermometer and 1/2 inch ball valve. Also bear in mind that I'm new to all grain, so learning as I go. Can do all the welding and build myelf, to help keep costs down.

Diggles

Mate came round yesterday and dropped off 2 kegs, so now I have 3...happy days.

Question now is what kind of rig to build without going over the top and busting the bank. I can justify the outlay if it means building a rig once and not have to keep upgrading all the time, as in the long run you end up paying out more! I also have a 36L s/s pot fitted with a thermometer and 1/2 inch ball valve. Also bear in mind that I'm new to all grain, so learning as I go. Can do all the welding and build myelf, to help keep costs down.

Diggles

I was in your situation not too long ago & have been down the ghetto, full PID controlled Rims system & I now BIAB.
To be honest, I was sick of the 3V setup. Stuck mashes, hose swapping, gas boiling, strike water heat up, blah, blah, blah. It got to the point where I was avoiding doing anything due to the hassle of it all. BIAB in an electric urn, no chill is simplicity at it's finest, simple as. The ultimate in my opinion would be the temp controlled BIAB, aka, Braumeister. Don't fart around with trying to accomplish what you can simply purchase off the shelf, seriously dude, ask any Braumeister owners on here & I think you'll get the same answer. At the end of the day though, if you enjoy tinkering around then maybe a 3V would suit you.

Happy with my electric keg 3V set-up so far. Click on the link in my sig if you want to check it out.

Do you mean 50L kegs to make keggles, or 19L cornies?
If its the former, you might as well make a 2 or 3v and flog the pot you have.
36L sounds a bit tight for a mash tun?
Or a BIAB set up in one of them and sell the other two welded to fund it?

Don't fart around with trying to accomplish what you can simply purchase off the shelf

Isn't farting around what we brew for?

Each to their own but I don't get this mentality. If that's the case, why not just buy the beer instead of making it?

Isn't farting around what we brew for?

Each to their own but I don't get this mentality. If that's the case, why not just buy the beer instead of making it?

No. Farting around is the last thing I want or need, I simply don't have the spare time anymore.
You are still making the beer, just going about it in a more simple, time efficient manner.
It's got SFA to do with mentality, it's all about how much time I can spend out in shed.
I have 3 young kids each wanting a share of my 1 day off per week & if I can save an hour or so well that's better for me.
Each to there own, absolutely, but I'm time poor unfortunately.
I'm not suggesting that he should buy the beer instead of farting around making it, I am simply stating that for all the effort needed to get something built you can get something off the shelf ( Braumeister ) without all the unforeseen shit that I went through getting my 3V Rims system off the ground. If he wants to tinker & build himself, great for him, I have no problem with that, go for it.

No. Farting around is the last thing I want or need, I simply don't have the spare time anymore.
You are still making the beer, just going about it in a more simple, time efficient manner.
It's got SFA to do with mentality, it's all about how much time I can spend out in shed.
I have 3 young kids each wanting a share of my 1 day off per week & if I can save an hour or so well that's better for me.
Each to there own, absolutely, but I'm time poor unfortunately.
I'm not suggesting that he should buy the beer instead of farting around making it, I am simply stating that for all the effort needed to get something built you can get something off the shelf ( Braumeister ) without all the unforeseen shit that I went through getting my 3V Rims system off the ground. If he wants to tinker & build himself, great for him, I have no problem with that, go for it.

Thanks guys, food for thought. Could convert one and do the BIAB whilt tinkering with the 3V possibly! So what advantage does the 3V give you and is it worth it? I suppose it's all depends on how much tinkering I'd like to do. Are stuck sparges common in a 3V setup or is it a familiarity thing?

So does anyone know how much a controller setup should cost and the best place to get one? Or don't bother with one?

Diggles

Apropos methods, its a how long is the piece of string type question! :D If it were me I'd just get a handle on brewing All- Grain before looking at more complex methods, you can do that quite simply with a spiffy new keggle and BIAB, then/ meanwhile if you are keen maybe look at 3V etc with the other kegs, but the important part is honing your AG brewing techniques.

Apropos methods, its a how long is the piece of string type question! :D If it were me I'd just get a handle on brewing All- Grain before looking at more complex methods, you can do that quite simply with a spiffy new keggle and BIAB, then/ meanwhile if you are keen maybe look at 3V etc with the other kegs, but the important part is honing your AG brewing techniques.

I agree 100% with this. Convert one into a BIAB set, and have fun. If later you want to go 3V then do it. Both methods of brewing are great. It's your opinion what is better, BIAB or 3V. On here there are plenty of 3V brewers that have gone to a single vessel brewery, and vice versa.

In my case I wanted to go 3V, but could not get the pots and all the gear at the time. So I went BIAB. I made 150 to 200 cubes of beer using BIAB before I finished my 3V build (over years), so obviously I was in no rush to change.

QldKev

I have a manually operated Braumeister that can also cook a lamb roast.

Completely agree with this and a great suggestion. Get the first keg sorted and while you are brewing sort out where you want to place a 3v setup and start tinkering once mashed in

I'm not sure if this is going to help in anyway or form but figure i'll let you in on my experience of late.
I've done BIAB over the last 6 - 8 months and have been very happy with the beers i've produced. That said, yesterday was my first run at a 3V setup and found it much better to run with. I do have a freshly built 12m x 18m powered up shed so room is no issue. Not sure exactly where to pin point my advantages, just felt like a had much better control over my systems and no lifting bags meant no mess on the floor. The day was longer but it was the first time running the big bertha and hadn't done any trials so i'm more the wiser on how she putts along. I've got some more setting up and tinkering to do but i'm stoked with 3V overall.

Nibbo

I'm not sure if this is going to help in anyway or form but figure i'll let you in on my experience of late.
I've done BIAB over the last 6 - 8 months and have been very happy with the beers i've produced. That said, yesterday was my first run at a 3V setup and found it much better to run with. I do have a freshly built 12m x 18m powered up shed so room is no issue. Not sure exactly where to pin point my advantages, just felt like a had much better control over my systems and no lifting bags meant no mess on the floor. The day was longer but it was the first time running the big bertha and hadn't done any trials so i'm more the wiser on how she putts along. I've got some more setting up and tinkering to do but i'm stoked with 3V overall.

Nibbo

Think I'll go with the BIAB for now and maybe start to tinker as you advise, it's the safest option. So here's another quandry....gas or electric? or is it possible to do both...ie get up to temp using gas as its quicker, then swithch over to electric for maintaining the temp?

Diggles

Gas or electric depends on your preference IMHO.
I prefer gas so I can crank more heat at it without upgrading my 10amp power system. But if you use electric all of the heat is contained in the vessel (especially if its insulated) so it is more ecconomical.
And also wrapping some camping mats and/or blankets and you shouldn't need to keep adding heat for the mash.

Back