Xmas Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samwise Gamgee

Reaction score
So with the Xmas break coming up, what have you got planned to brew?

I'm hoping to get a Hefeweizen and Coopers PA type brew down as well possibly doing a double batch of something but yet to decide what it will be.

Need to do a short trip to bunnings i think and play around with some mods to the mash tun.

Have a good Xmas and New Year! :beer:

I need to get some serious brewing done.
I had a xmas party at my joint at the weekend and the guest drained close to 50 litres out of four different kegs. In about a week I'll have about three kegs all empty consecutively.
I hope to get an IPA, Kolsh, Dubbel and Oatmeal Stout done over the break.

Beers,
Doc

I have an American stout planned to have it ready for winter, an Australian strong ale and my first attempt at a lite beer. I'm going to go for a mid strength ale with American hops in the hope that all the flavour from the American hops will help other weaknesses of the lite.

I'm gonna do another AG American Pale Ale with chinook and cascade hops. I may back of the alcohol a little cause my last one was %7.5 and knocked me around a little. :p

Belgian Blonde and something quick maturing of the lawn mower variety. Need stocks pronto. :eek: I've got 40 litres of Saison tying up my carboys and refusing to finish fermenting. <_<

Warren -

In a couple of days I will be kegging a version of Ross's Arrogant Pom APA for the Christmas break and next week I will keg a Summer ale for a new years party :beerbang: something a little bit easier for the masses to drink.

Next brew up is Shmicks Australian Strong Ale. Got the goodies for it just need to slate it on sometime over the break. Time to reculture some coopers yeast me thinks.

Borret

Is that Saison still fermenting Warren :eek: Gotta be some kind of record given the temps... :beerbang:

I'll be brewing a Best Bitter on Thursday night, and then another Czech Pilsner style in the week between Xmas and New Years. I've got some 'summer beers' drinking/coming into conditioning now that I'm looking forward to try and an ESB style to bottle, so I've got plenty to keep me busy :)

Shawn.

I had a xmas party at my joint at the weekend and the guest drained close to 50 litres out of four different kegs.

Wow, Doc. He/she must have been thirsty. :chug:

Lucky you didn't invite more people. :lol:

Gough said:
Is that Saison still fermenting Warren :eek: Gotta be some kind of record given the temps... :beerbang:
[post="98455"][/post]​

Shawn.

Quite the norm accodring to our U.S. friends on BrewBoard.

here

Some guys are quoting times as long as 4 weeks on the primary yeast at temps as high as 30 degrees. :wacko:

Farmhouse Ales said the yeast would test my faith. Ain't that the truth. This had better be one of my better drops. <_<

Warren -

Time will be my enemy this yuletide I fear. But, if time allows between the end of this week and return to work on January 23, my plans include:

Little Big Man American Indian Pale Ale 4 - I have to work out where the Xmas case went awry

Off The Wheaten Track - American Wheat beer

some kind of mild.

Still to bottle a Belgian Dubbel and a Summer Bitter experiment.

I read a lot of Belgian style beers here :p Me also :) the last 3 ales have been Belgian inspired and the two kegs for Xmas day [which were put done awhile back] are Belgian inspied also, I used Wyeast 1388 belgian strong ale yeast for these<_< I see an over use of word Belgian here :blink:

Something with lots of Cascade I think. Also a Czech Pils, Oktoberfest, and maybe a Kolsch.

First brew for 2006 will be a Pliny the Elder clone with all 475gms of hops and a total of 289 IBU on Promash :) You'll be able to smell it all over Sydney. :lol:

Cheers.

Like Doc, my beer supplies are severely depleted at the moment due to good company :party:

About to keg an APA, Robust porter, vanilla porter, American brown.

Brewing this week - Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Summer Ale, K&B Bitter...

cheers Ross

I am doing a road trip down south over the hols, so I wont get any brewing done, which is a real shame, as the 1035 APA I made on the weekend has got an infection :angry: :angry: :angry:
It tasted really really good out of the kettle, and I was gonna split it into 2 x 23L batches (double batch brewed) in secondary and dry hop each with a different hop, to see which I liked best. Pitched my US-56 starter that seemed to be going well, but it musta died or something. I have NO idea how it happened, but it did, and now it looks like she is gonna go down the drain...
Gonna brew 3 or 4 double batches in the first 3 months of the year, cause April and May are gonna be big beer months - 2 batches of Imperial Stout, a barleywine and a clone of one of the Stone vertical epic ales. That will tie up my fermenters for a while anyway. Hopefully it will erase the frustration of my current let-down.
Hope all your xmas brews turn out winners :super:
Trent

mt hood pale ale tomorrow.then back to work.so xmas time brews havent been thought of yet.

cheers
big d

Probably making another wheat beer this Thusday or Friday with Powells undermodified double crushed malt to test the efficiency of my system.

johnno

Its a sad sad day today!! My Xmas beer supply took a sharp decline with a BBQ on the weekend and then to top iy off my wife made me buy her a bottle of Cooper Red for her evening appertief!!!!!! She is not mad keen on the Apricot wheat or the Peach ale I have in the keg!! And since I have not timed my brewing schedule well we wont have anything new for Xmas day. At least we still have a couple of bottles of the Kolsch!

I am brewing on Wed - Amber ale and then again on Fri - Kolsch (without frying the yeast this time)

Havent worked out the New Year Brewing schedule yet - Saison sounds good and the Pumpkin ale I have been planning will be a contender for first brew of the new year.

After running out of beer I brewed an APA, 100% Munich Ale, and Cream Ale in the last 14 days. All are filtered and at a drinking stage(albeit US56 APA has a hint of diacetyl) in the keg, Just in the nick of time for Christmas Day. Phew!

PS the wife couldnt finish the Coopers :super:

Power to the AG home brewer!

Latest posts

Back