Xmas Brewing Gift <$100..suggestions please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Our family runs a kris kringle at Xmas, with each person receiving a gift up to the value of $100 - gift cards arent allowed!. I have been asked what I want and I would like suggestions of a useful bit of gear that I might find handy in the brewery. last year I got a keg, but I have plenty now. I am a BIAB no-chiller and dont measure much...is a refractometer more useful than a pH meter? Can I chill wort for <$100? Do I need a 5L erlenmeyer?

What would you add to your brewery for $100 ?

Look at the changes you would make to your brewing to find the answer.

Stirplates are great if you want to get into yeast management a bit more. Get at least one 2 litre flask.

Most no-chillers love the convenience, so unless you're solely doing it by necessity I'd not consider a chiller. If you do want to chill you can get a coil of copper for around $85 that will make you a killer immersion chiller together with a couple hose clamps and a $5 Bunnings hose. That would be a $100 gift card from Bunnings. You don't have to be very handy. I made one, and then remade it for a narrower kettle without being terribly handy.

I love my refractometer! Not everyone does, but it's awesome just pulling a couple drops to check gravity. I find it much easier than a hydrometer. Many people would say I'm a total moron for saying that, so each to his own.

pH meters are great if you want to control that aspect of mash. Get a good one. For around $100 this one will be among the best:
http://shop.hannainst.com/hi98127-phepr4-ph-resolution-0-1-ph-356.html

But really, look at what you want to change in your brew process.

gift voucher from your choice of forum sponsor

Better beer tap or another one, Selection of favourite hops, BIAB Bag, Stainless fittings, stir plate, capper, a keg, glassware, bag of grain, bottle tree and rinser, minerals for brewing, sanitiser, yeast selection, pump and hose to do recirc. take your pick, it's endless.

My first post in a while... I just got my dad an electric winch to lift the malt pipe out of his braumeister. Was ~$90 on eBay.

Edit- a Can work on BIAB too

Jazzafish said:
My first post in a while... I just got my dad an electric winch to lift the malt pipe out of his braumeister. Was ~$90 on eBay.

Edit- a Can work on BIAB too
There's a good boy! :super:

Your chocie of brewing books

I tend to find them on amazon as you get to read the reviews, but order phyisical books from bookdepository as postage is included; unless its on kindle as that's cheaper and more convenient

Just picked up an oxygen set from the big green shed, just under $90 for the reg and bottle.

Some times people think that a perfect brew day results in a perfect beer, word from the wise (not me) is more than 50% of f#@K ups are with the ferment, give your yeasties the best chance, let em breath for a bit!!

MB

thanks guys, some great suggestions here...books, O2, pump, beer tap...another thread on here got me thinking of a vacuum sealer...too many toys, not enough $$$!

Back