Wyeast's Best Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favourite ale yeast from Wyeast?

• 1007 German Ale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1028 London Ale

• 1056 American Ale

• 1084 Irish Ale

• 1214 Belgian Ale

• 1275 Thames Valley Ale

• 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

• 1728 Scottish Ale

• 1968 London ESB Ale

• Other

• Total voters

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
Please tell us which Wyeast ale you most like to use? This is a selection of less than half the range so expect "other" to rate highly.

If you vote "other" post us and say which one you like.

Some lager brewer out there feel like compiling a similar poll for lager yeasts?

Wheats/blends/others?

my vote goes to other.
as half you know from my cascade mad ravings i love american II 1272.

I normally use White Labs because that is the most common at the brew shops I go too.

However of the Wyeast yeasts my favourites are:

3787 High Gravity Belgian (for Belgians)
2007 Pilsen Lager (Pilsners) (yeah I know not an ale yeast)
1084 Stouts
1028 I've used this yeast only a couple of times I have found it to be a great attenuator with one beer starting at 1.074 from memory

Beers,
Doc

my result was kinda skewed because the only liquid yeast ive used is my 1084 :) but ive got a white labs cal ale on its way to me currently :)

My favourite of those listed is the 1056. Very clean neutral tasting ale yeast. Great for APAs IMO.

My favourite not listed is the Weihenstephan wheat. Brilliant stuff. Always comes through with tasty wheat flavours.

My favourite so far has been the Trappist High Gravity (3787 i think)

this is closely followed by the:
1272 American Ale II
1084 Irish Ale
3068 Weinstephan Wheat
Bohemian Lager (don't know the number)

- Snow

My favourites are the 1728, 1028 and 1338.

I have also used the 3056, 1056, 1335, 1275 and 1098 and I recommend them all.
Wyeast do a great job IMO.

TDA

I prefer the pitchable tubes of White Labs. This isn't so important now that I'm making bigger starters anyway.

I've noticed that a lot of people are using 1084 Irish Ale for their stouts - has anyone used it for ales in the style of Kilkenny and Caffreys? I was considering using it to produce clones of these two beers (two of my favourite drops :p )

By the way, another vote for American 1272 (worked great with my SNPA clone :) )

Xaeros, Check out the Grumpies website for your Kilkenny Clone. I made this recipe and used the 1084 and it was fantastic. Not as sweet as Kilkenny, but definitely better.

- Snow.

Wyeast 3333.

I've got an AG weizen that is just starting to settle down on day 4 after a vigorous ferment @ 20c average.Peaked @ 22 on day 2 but night time temps(ambient) pulled it down again.

Pure bubble gum/fruit out of the airlock has me Smilin :D From ear to ear.

Think this one's been done before. :blink:

Comes as no surprise that "other" leads by a long way. I'll cast one vote for Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale. Rapidly becoming my fave. :)

Warren -

1028 London Ale is a regular, nice yeast for a British Ale.

1056 American is also a nice rounded yeast. I've used it for APA's to Bitters to Stouts.

1968 ESB I really liked the flavour of and it was a super quick fermenter (but did pitch a good amount of yeast) but the specatular nature of this yeast comes in the speed that it flocculates at. When the beer is finished it drops really quick. You might even need to rouse the yeast to keep it fermenting right out. Excellent yeast is you want to squeeze of a quick brew in record time. Note: Has fairly low attenuation.

1084 Irish. Nice stout yeast. I like it.

Edited ESB yeast number

1272 gets my vote, although I haven't used that many Wyeast ale yeasts. I have used 1272 on an APA and American Brown Ale with good results - tooty fruity. I will have to try a split batch with 1056/1272 for a comparison(I believe GL tried this years ago).

I have a pack of 1275 in the fridge for a Timothy Taylor inspired brew so will post opinion in due course.

OK i'm the one that voted for the Belgian Ale yeast. Easy to get some nice Belgian yeasty smells and flavours with minimal effort. The Wit yeast is even easier, but can produce "vinyl pool toy" smells if you re-use it or put it with a can of goo. dunno why.

Think this one's been done before. :blink:

Warren -

Yeah I found it waaaay in the backblocks of the forum and thought I'd blow the dust off and revive it for a2nd life for the more recent members.

I voted 1968 but I haven't used many. Methinks the thames valley might top it- I have a pale ale with that in it right now

Latest posts

Back