Wyeast3724 Belgian Saison Starter Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lecterfan

Yeast, unleashed in the East...
Reaction score
A question for those who have regularly used wy3724 and who are brushed up on their yeast starter techniques. I understand that this yeast is notorious for stalling and needing adequate time to 'finish the job'.

My smack pack was old, so I have followed Mr malty directions to build it up to an appropriate size. I currently have 4L of starter that has krausened and is now chugging away (the first two steps of 1l and 2l were on a stir plate, this is just in a flagon).

I would ideally like to use this yeast in one weeks time, and in that time it will have built a decent number of yeast cells, but if I decant close to all of the 4L then I am concerned that I will be tipping out a good deal of the low-floccing hard working yeast that will 'last the distance' in terms of full attenuation.

Here is the question: Should I leave the starter until it has FULLY attenuated out and then chill it to flocc the yeast out (even if this process may take another few weeks all up given the nature of this yeast), or would I still have a viable cross section of yeast if I let it ferment out at highish (mid to high 20s) until Next Wednesday night, then chill in order to decant the excess Friday morning and use the yeast Friday arvo?

I hope I have adequately described my concern and question.

Thanks in advance to those who help and to those who mean well. :icon_cheers:

As long as you have 30C+ it won't stall.

I've never had a batch of Belgian Saison stall, and I've underpitched a few times.

If you are running it in the 20s then all the caveats for it exist so I hear.

Ok cool, so don't be too precious with the different floccing rates in the starter then? Pitch a good number of yeast, keep the temps up and they will do their job? Music to my ears...

I read up a lot on this yeast stalling before I did my first batch of it. Apparently it's got to do with low pH, and gets quite complicated.

What's the OG of your Saison? The farmhouse ones are 1.040 ish ... but most commercial Saisons I've tried are 1.070-1.080, and this might also affect stalling. Mine were all under 1.060 IIRC.

When in doubt, 35C.

If you want it to stall, then 25C, 1.080 and lots of acidulated malt! :D

Back