Wyeast1469 Warmer Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've just brewed Dr Smurtos TTL clone using wyeast 1469. Boiled down about 3L wort to <1L(I BIAB so would have been a lower OG wort). I normally ferment in an ensuite thats in high teens temp wise. problem is, its a bit warmer than normal and Its experiencing ambient temps around 23,24 and maybe even hit 25 at times. Anyway, can anyone tell me what to expect from this yeast and beer at those sort of temps. Is it going to be pi$$. I'm kinda gutted, I dont brew very often and so Itll kill me to have to get through a bad batch, also if it turns out crap I wont be able to give any away and I'll have to drink it all myself for my sins.
I figured that if anyone could tell me what to expect at higher temps itd be someone on this forum??
Before anyone tells me to sort out my fermentation temp control, I just have to bury some cable to the garden shed and install the fridge, have bought cable over a year ago.

Thanks

L

Hey Larso,
I wouldnt worry too much about it. Your only 2 degrees over recommended temps, keep some wet towels on your FV that may pull down the extra 2 degrees.

If you could start the ferment low it might be ok to let it get to those temps a few days in. I have only fermented at 17 with 1469.

I'd be expecting some big stonefruit-ester action from 1469 that high, I normally ferment it around 20C but my guess is you might just end up accidentally making your best ever TTL clone. 23-25C doesn't sound too crazy. It doesn't sound like a disaster, definitely won't be "pi$$".

I've read on a couple of UK forums that a lot of craft breweries and brewpubs in the UK ferment in the low 20s. I wouldn't worry, probably turn out a bit estery but not undrinkable.

Thanks guys, more optimIstic now. It's started spewing out the airlock now. My most vigorous fermentation ever!!

L

Hey Larso,
I wouldnt worry too much about it. Your only 2 degrees over recommended temps, keep some wet towels on your FV that may pull down the extra 2 degrees.

Recommended temps are for wort, not ambient environment. Active fermentation generates heat so if the wort equilibrated with, say a 25 degree day before pitching, active fermentation would make the wort a few degrees warmer than that.

@OP: Wet towels and/or laundry tub full of water (ice bricks if required) will help for future reference, along will getting your wort to a few degrees below desired temp before pitching. If you're in an area where ambient is 25 during winter, I'd consider a fermentation fridge or building a fermentation chamber.

^Sorry - just read your last sentence properly.

I have it in a 25l fermentor sitting in a 33l fermentor with water in it. The temps are taken from the water bath do I think they reflect the wort temps. Also, I've a tc connected to a data logger taped to the fermentor and that's indicated 21 to 24 and briefly to 25 degrees so hopefully alls ok. By the way, I'm in Ireland so this isn't a problem I normally have . 25 is tropical here:)

Guys, in your experience, does 1469 take long to hit FG?

One time I brewed with it at 19 deg it just wouldn't budge past 1.020. Once I warmed it up it finished off. It seems to go nuts at the start then back off

Thanks Doon, that leads to my next question. My airlock is full of krausen and there's creamy yeast on the lid, droppin down the sides etc.... I've never had a brew do this before, I've done about 6 or 7 AG brews. I suppose this stuff is a magnet for bacteria. Should I be removing and cleaning the airlock and lid etc.. Or do you guys normally leave it till bottling day? I usually leave my brews in primary for 2 or. 3 weeks then bottle.

Thanks

L

1469, particularly if warm, will go off it's tits. Remove airlock and lid, rinse clean, sanatise. Sanatise a jug and a large spoon/ladle (such as a soup ladle), skim 1/2 (or more) of the yeast off the top, into the jug. Replace lid on fermenter. Add enough cooled boiled water to the yeast in the jug to get a pouring consistancy, then put in sanatised bottle/jar, put it in the fridge. Vent the lid on this every few days until it stops building up pressure, and voila, you have kick-arse yeast ready for reuse.

search on here for 'top cropping'
;)

Thanx guys, bottling tomorrow. Tasted from sample jar and it's certainly not screwed. Strangely I'm not getting any strong caramel maybe I've left it sitting too long on yeast. There's a discussion ongoing on Jimsbeerkit at the moment and it's been suggested that getting it off the yeast early helps the caramel flavour as it stops the yeast cleaning up diacetyl. There still looks to be a lot of yeast in suspension. Can anyone tell me typically what this would be primed at in terms of volumes of co2

Thanks

L

Can anyone tell me typically what this would be primed at in terms of volumes of co2

Thanks

L

0.8-2.1 volumes.

In practical terms, though, you need enough carbonation to be able to form a head based on serving method...

For this type of beer, in a keg system, I would look at around 1.6 volumes. I would go lower if I could, but regulators can only go down so low before they peg out.....

For bottling, though...pouring a low carbonated beer from a bottle can frustrate a lot of people, due to poor pouring technique and too cold serving temperature. If it's too cold, it won't expel the gas as much as if it's warmer. Gotta pour it straight into the centre of the glass with no tilt, so the head will form. You don't get the same turbulence you get from a tap, so generally you would prime slightly higher. I'd suggest 2 volumes.

Oh, and being able to knock co2 out of solution and into the head isn't just a matter of making it look good...it effects the flavour and the mouthfeel, as well. ;)

Thanks Mike. It'll be 2 vols then. Actually it'll also be served slightly cold as I've either got fridge or warm. And I bottle. Love the hiss and pour not too sure about the labour!

Thanks

L

kabooom :eek:

KRAUSEN_414543292.jpg

Latest posts

Back