Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmclaren11

Reaction score
Having started BIAB, I am now looking into better yeasts.

I ordered 2 Wyeasts, American Ale and 1469.

The US Ale seems much more swollen than the 1469, and I haven't smacked it as yet. Is this normal? I have kept them in the fridge since getting them. The only thing I can think of is when I moved a keg in the fridge the packets fell out onto the floor. Would this be enough to activate it?

If it is activated, how long do I have to use it?

Cheers....

Had a few that have arrived in the mail activated, one leaking even. If you are planning to split the pack into four vials for starters then do it now, if not keep in the fridge and use soon. Love 1469, tried it all sorts of brews.

How swollen is it, i.e. is it just inflated a little or is it bursting at the seams? If you've ruptured the nutrient pouch it should eventually (depending on temperature and age) swell considerably and be quite firm to a squeeze, but if its still fairly flaccid then it was probably just packaged with a bit of life left in the breeder ferment.
Edit: BTW, the pouch is fairly hardy, usually takes a few slaps to get it ruptured.

I would say it is just inflated a little, like a bit of air in it. The 1469 is flat in comparison.

So keep in the fridge and use as proposed? I am off to Margaret River this weekend so no brewing (Craft breweries here I come :chug: )

I guess if it doesn't swell anymore I should be okay to use it?

I just smacked a Wyeast 1768 that I've had for a few months in the fridge and it was a wee bit swollen like you describe, a bit hard to feel the nutrient widget to smack it but I got the ******* on the third smack. B) nothing to worry about in your case, I'm sure.

Welcome to the glorious world of liquid yeasts.

Edit: even if it still keeps slowly swelling, don't worry. I have often smacked a pack and let it swell rock hard, then been unable to brew or pitch for sometimes up to a fortnight and no harm done. The idea of smacking the pack and releasing the nutrient is to "prove" the yeast that it's still active but it doesn't then cause the cells to die, they just go dormant again until you need them.

Yep, as per Bribie, relax, it should be fine.

OT: Chuffed that I actually used the word "flaccid" in context without giggling... oh damn, just giggled. :angry:

Don't worry RdeV, I used the words Smack, Swollen, Hard ******* and feeling the widget in my post.

Oh, and rock hard as well.

Whew, for a minute I thought I must have had my smackpack handling all wrong! :D

Humerous responses fellas, thanks. As they say, I will relax and have a homebrew (actually about to crack a LC Single Batch Day of the Long Shadow ;0)

was at twok a few weeks ago and asked for a liquid yeast pack and noticed a heap of swollen packs .
aparently some will swell with some yeast outside of the "pod "
exess swelling should be advoided i think there is a caviat on the packs and the website...i just grab a slab of botom crap and away we go again there is a lot of bullshit out there look for the real truth but that what i have donbe for years now

Wyeast packs, even after carefull shipping and refridgeration can and will swell...guess why...the yeast is alive, all 100 000 000 000 cells, leakage smeakage, the yeast nutrient is a sealed pack that you bust to help things along.
Whitelabs vials when overacyive do not swell...instead they just blast right out the top.
Of course if I saw a swollen apckage of dried yeast...

K

Latest posts

Back