Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Wyeasts? Any good? Worth getting an order?

Ive got the opportunity to go in on an order as no one in NZ actually stocks it, was just wondering if you guys have any feedback as to wether its worth it over the dried yeasts?

Cheers

What do you guys think of the Wyeasts? Any good? Worth getting an order?

Ive got the opportunity to go in on an order as no one in NZ actually stocks it, was just wondering if you guys have any feedback as to wether its worth it over the dried yeasts?

Cheers

Yep. Very good. Try it. You'll like it. huge variety of strains over dried. can confirm viability based on swelling of pack.

reVox

Yep. Very good. Try it. You'll like it. huge variety of strains over dried. can confirm viability based on swelling of pack.

reVox

Yeah was just having a look at the website, almost makes it hard to choose what sort of strains to get.. Is there much variety between them? Any you guys could reccomend? Obviously it depends on style, im more into my darker beers if that helps...

I think on the wyeast website there is a style guide, choose a dark style you like brewing and it should list a bunch of recommended yeasts. I too am a fan of liquid yeasts for a lot of beers. I think things like american ales and such the good ol dried US05 does the trick - apparently there is little difference between it and wyeast 1056. But for pommy ales which I think require a little more yeast character wyeast is certainly a lot better, and then you get things like belgians and wheat beers and such there is no substitute for a liquid.

I wonder what NZ customs would say if someone from this list
slant registry
were to send you some yeasty beasties.

But then you'd have to send a package to one of them and how would you pay for postage back?? Oh well.

I wonder what NZ customs would say if someone from this list
slant registry
were to send you some yeasty beasties.

But then you'd have to send a package to one of them and how would you pay for postage back?? Oh well.

That doesnt seem like that bad an idea, postage wouldnt be that much, allthough keeping it cold might be an issue? :huh:

I thought Luke Nickolas bought in Wyeast?? Has done for the last 8 years that I know of...

Geez....they know how to charge considering they are all pre orders...Approx $20 Aussie per pack :blink:

cheers Ross

quick ross, duck! or put a flame suit on or something :p :lol:

Geez....they know how to charge considering they are all pre orders...Approx $20 Aussie per pack :blink:

cheers Ross

I couldnt even find prices :huh: Where did I go wrong... And $20AUD per pack sounds excessive, I thought $5.45NZD for dried saflager yeast was pricy!!! :eek:

Bottom of page 3

Prices: Activator $24.95 ea., Propigator $16.95 ea.

Bottom of page 3

Prices: Activator $24.95 ea., Propigator $16.95 ea.

$24.95? Ouch.. that's a bit much for some yeasties.

It would be nice to see an Australian Wyeast.

$24.95? Ouch.. that's a bit much for some yeasties.

It would be nice to see an Australian Wyeast.

Its actually excessive aye! How much do you guys pay for it over there?

That doesnt seem like that bad an idea, postage wouldnt be that much, allthough keeping it cold might be an issue? :huh:

Well my theory was that the requestor would send some sort of cold pack thingy to the sender, they could refrigerate it and send it back. But within australia, that would only be two days that it had to stay cold .. but between Oz and NZ ???? Ausrtalia post say 3-4 days.
It would probably be alright I think if it was posted on a monday.

The bigger problem would be payment for postage. Within Oz, you can just send as many stamps as its going to take to send it back ... but from NZ?? If only we were one economic union with the same stamps!
I wonder if it would actually be cheaper to send a courier bag than buy wyeast in NZ??

:blink: You'd be closer to craftbrewer where you are..

Latest posts

Back