Wyeast Smack Pak.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I have got my first liquid Wyeast, Czech Pils, and it has been smacked now for 48 hours wth very little signs of life. The date on the front of the pak says 25-nov-2004 so I was expecting it to take longer than the 1-3 hours it said on the back of the pack, but how long should i expect to wait? Its in my stereo cabnet with the amp on maintaining 23.2 degC.

STEPHEN

One that old will take a little longer. Could be up to a few days. I keep mine nice and warm by putting them under my desk lamp and they seem to get going nice and quickly. Also make sure you have given it a good shake.

Give it a good shake and try and be patient.

Stephen,

You definitely burst the inner pouch? Just run your hand around to make sure. Otherwise be patient. It will expand. Don't forget to shake the living daylights out of it regularly too. Seems to help (even if it's just your mind). :p

Warren -

According to the wives tale I got told was "A day for every month past the date", so yours "SHOULD" take7-8 days to go off.

SJW said:
I have got my first liquid Wyeast, Czech Pils, and it has been smacked now for 48 hours wth very little signs of life. The date on the front of the pak says 25-nov-2004 so I was expecting it to take longer than the 1-3 hours it said on the back of the pack, but how long should i expect to wait? Its in my stereo cabnet with the amp on maintaining 23.2 degC.

STEPHEN
[post="66784"][/post]​

You must be patient grasshopper

Batz :ph34r:

G'day SJ,

I've popped 2 packs from the November batch (a 1007 German Ale and a 2206 Bavarian Lager) in the last 3 weeks and both took 4 days to fully swell. Don't panic! Both were fine.

Shawn.

Sorry to piggy back on this thread... but it is a smak pack question, so I guess thats ok :D

I received two smak packs today in the post - one is very flat, but one is definitley "puffy" - I don't know how big they get - I've never used one before, but its obviously bigger than the other one. Could this be because of the different packing, or has it been "smacked" on the way to my place. I plan to use this yeast on the weekend...

Can someone post a photo of an "inflated" smack pack? I haven't been able to find one yet...

Thanks,

MAtt

mobrien said:
I
Can someone post a photo of an "inflated" smack pack? I haven't been able to find one yet...

MAtt
[post="66874"][/post]​

Look at this idiots post , couple of pics

therehttp://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1434&hl=starting

Batz :ph34r:

wooo! thats exactly what I'm after - and I'm thinking thats exactly what I should do.....

Thanks again!

Matt

mobrien said:
wooo! thats exactly what I'm after - and I'm thinking thats exactly what I should do.....

Thanks again!

Matt
[post="66880"][/post]​
Can't go wrong mobrien. Just "smacked" my first smack pack (1028 London Ale)
on Friday & at the recommended temp of 21-24 deg C took three full days to fully swell. Along with enough DME for 8 starters, it's now well on the way thanks to the link Batz gave you in his earlier post. Correct sanitation is very important.

:beer:

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if the age of the yeast really matters and if so how much ?
I've just smacked a Belgian Wheat (3942) thats got a stamp on it of 4/24/96... and i know it's gonna work coz a while ago i was given a
Belgian Trappist HG (3787) that was from 97/98 and that worked fine and made a fantastic couple of batches....

Cheers,
Somnar..

I've never used one that old - hell's bells, that is nearly 10 years old :eek: - but I've regularly used Wyeast that is well outside the 3 months they reccommend, and I've never had a problem. They take a little longer to swell the older they are, but they've always swelled. 10 years is a big call though! Top darts!!

Shawn.

Would be rather interesting to split a 40 litre batch.

20 litres with the 10 year old yeast.
20 litres with a fresh smack pack of the same strain.

Would there be differences? :unsure:

There's a go... The Wyeast Vintage Series. :)

Warren -

I've only ever used pretty fresh yeast, probably never more than about 3 months past the batch date. A warm place and plenty of shakes and they've never taken more than 12 hours to be fully puffed.

I have brewed excellent bitters with a 6 year old 1968 pack, and I have a 1998 dated pack of 1007 which I will get around to brewing with one day (anyone got a good all-grain Altbier recipe?)

OTOH, last week I had a 3 month old 3638 activator pack swell up in about 4 hours.

cheers,
Colin

Do the yeasties come out with different coloured masks on swinging numchucka's?

Borret

warrenlw63 said:
Would be rather interesting to split a 40 litre batch.

20 litres with the 10 year old yeast.
20 litres with a fresh smack pack of the same strain.

Would there be differences? :unsure:

There's a go... The Wyeast Vintage Series. :)

Warren -
[post="66957"][/post]​

Isn't there some brewery that did a shipwreck ale which was brewed with some yeast cultured from a 170 yr old bottle of beer they found on the bottom of the ocean. Now there's vintage yeast.

Borret :blink:

Borret said:
Isn't there some brewery that did a shipwreck ale which was brewed with some yeast cultured from a 170 yr old bottle of beer they found on the bottom of the ocean. Now there's vintage yeast.

Borret :blink:
[post="66967"][/post]​

Elgood's Flag Porter. Jackson describes it as lively and fruity, with woody, sooty, leathery, oily notes. Perfect with Oysters.

Either that or a S&M gathering. :lol:

Elgood Brewery

Picking their beers would very nice indeed. :rolleyes:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
[post="66967"][/post]​

Elgood's Flag Porter. Jackson describes it as lively and fruity, with woody, sooty, leathery, oily notes. Perfect with Oysters.

Either that or a S&M gathering. :lol:

[/quote]

LOL! :lol:

Thanks for all the interest fellas. Anyway 4 full days later and she's up like a football. Just needed to keep it a bit warmer and shake a bit more. I hope the rest of the liquid yeast precess, ie, the starters go as smoothly.

STEPHEN

Back