Wyeast Smack Pack Possible Fail.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreads_2006

Reaction score
I had a 1056 American Ale smack pack, I went through the motions, smacked it, shook it left it for just over 3 hours, the pack swelled and I pitched it into my wort. But after pitching I noticed the nutrient pack still had a lot of liquid inside. Does this mean my brew will not ferment?
Thoughts please ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389415618.628083.jpg

It should be fine. The smack pack contains nutrient to activate the yeast, encouraging it to multiply and 'get ready to ferment the wort'. Hoping that all the yeast still got poured into yr wort the yeast should work, just wont be ideally primed. Maybe a little longer to show activity but should still ferment.
Good luck.

You don't even have to pop the nutrient, it's just something to help ensure viability.

If the pack swelled, your yeast are viable, there will always be a lag time as the yeast acclimatise to the wort.

As above, it'll be fine. I never got the pack properly smacked for my first 5 brews. No issues a'tall.

I've found that smack packs sometimes contain two chambers. If it swelled then mist likely you burst one of them.

Thanks Gents, stoked to hear the wort will turn into beer. Think I will take the advice of smacking the absolute living shit out of it just to make sure from now on

I'm always a bit dubious about smacking it so hard it opens haha

I have never had that happen though!

Jurt said:
I'm always a bit dubious about smacking it so hard it opens haha
I have never had that happen though!
I have!

Me too! Luckily i was just making a starter so I just pitched it straight away.

I woke this morning to find my brew fermenting very nicely. Was very happy to hear that air lock going off...

good to hear about a happy ending!
Now smack that #*@& up next time to be sure

Back