Wyeast Smack Pack - First Time Use - No Result So Far

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope didnt swell, I have a feeling it said it was packed/made in august, MrMalty said that about 32% viable.
That doesnt sound good.

I assume from this they arent a good thing to order in advance and keep in the fridge any longer than a week or two.

Sounds like ive done a few things wrong here. All good first time using liquid yeast, i'll know for next time now

There is only one bubble of nutrient in a smack-pack. If you opened it and that was still unbroken, then you didn't smack it properly.

The nutrient packs *look* like they have two sides, but only one is filled.

BUT the yeast should be fine, just a bit bruised and battered. You will probably have a long lag phase and then it will kick off fine... with perhaps some flavour artifacts.

If you pitched in the 20's then stuck the wort in the fridge and chilled fast it wouldn't be doing the yeast any favours either. Better next time to chill the wort to 10deg then pitch a starter (around same temp) of 300 billion cells or maybe 5 older smack packs which would be expensive. Get a stir plate and make starters. Thats what I read in the Yeast book anyway.

Hey again,

Just clarifying my best option here now.

After about 5 days the yeast has done nothing. Time to repitch some more.

Whats the preferred option, Buy another Wyeast liquid?

I have S189 / S23 / W34/70 on hand i can use.

What should I do?

Thanks again

Hey again,

Just clarifying my best option here now.

After about 5 days the yeast has done nothing. Time to repitch some more.

Whats the preferred option, Buy another Wyeast liquid?

I have S189 / S23 / W34/70 on hand i can use.

What should I do?

Thanks again

The yeast has done nothing and there has been no drop in the SG? What does it smell/taste like?

After 5 days i would have expected something to start fermenting it, you must have very lazy wild yeast in your area.

I'd be rehydrating your preferred dry lager yeast and pitching that at 18-20C and leaving it at that temp for 24 hours to make sure something happens.

Just an update.

Came home today for lunch and it has finally started fermenting, a thin layer of foam sitting on top of the brew, I'll see how it goes over the next few days. :)

This is without adding any new yeast.

Just an update.

Came home today for lunch and it has finally started fermenting, a thin layer of foam sitting on top of the brew, I'll see how it goes over the next few days. :)

This is without adding any new yeast.
Hi Neo,
You keep saying the yeast has "done nothing" but despite suggestions from a well respected brewer and scientist to take an SG reading you have not said that the gravity is unchanged.
Have you actually taken an SG reading?
Did you take a SG reading before you pitched the yeast?
Do you actually own a hydrometer or refractometer? B)
Without checking the gravity and seeing if there was a change or not then you cannot possibly say whether the yeast has done anything or not.
Lager and Ale yeasts are different and while it is relatively easy to tell if an ale yeast is doing something by sight it is not as easy with a lager yeast, particularly over the first few days.
And if you are relying on your airlock to tell you if something is happening then I give up. :D
Cheers
Nige

Send Beer Fingers around to his house with a kitten Nige?

An under pitched lager yeast will normally take a while to produce krausen in most cases as it is a bottom fermenting yeast

Sorry I should have been clearer in an earlier post.

Doc said to do an SG reading, my next reply was the yeast has done nothing after 5 days. Very poorly worded on my behalf.
Yep OG was 1048, SG reading on saturday was indistinguishable from 1048. I was going to put a packet of S189 in there but didnt get around to it on sunday, So i left it go till today
and was going to put it in then.. And found some foam. Just checked the SG, looks about 1045/1046. So its slowly ticking away.

Just ordered all the parts to make a stir plate & a 2L, 1L & 2 x 500ml flasks, so no excuses anymore. There shall be a starter for every brew now :)

A novice brewer should really be starting with ales. Lager fermentations are much more complex and need a fair bit of knowledge if you are going to get a good beer at the end of it.

However, here is some reading:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers

There is advice for fermenting your first lager, which involves pitching warm (not the best practice, but more fail-safe for a beginner).

I'd still pitch that S189 packet if you're feeling lucky.

Pour it on the back yard if you're not. If it's taken 6 days to drop a couple of gravity points ... chances are that's not even the yeast you pitched that's active.

What's it taste like?

Definately consider myself a novice brewer, hence my many posts on this forum.
Have done 6 or so AG ale brews no probs at all.

I just made the mistake of assuming a dry yeast similar procedure to liquid yeast. Simple as that.
I have a lager beside my current batch with s189 ticking away nicely.

I followed the directions on the back of the Wyeast pack, They should put on there... Use within X months of manufacture/packing date, and also, may require 2 liquid yeast packs if not making a starter. All good, its been a great learning experience.

As for the taste, Actually tastes pretty damn good :)

Might let it go a few days and see how the SG goes, if not much happens in the next few days ill chuck a S189 in there to kick it along.

Ohhhh. Serious? If i had have known that I would never have bought the Wyeast in the first place. lol

You live and you learn.

Thanks Again.

Yep stirplate will be going before next brew, so starters from now on.

here i was freaking out at no action after 2 days with Brew cellar English ale yeast............

I repritched a W34/70 dry yeast.

Hopefully it does its job.

Thanks all for the advice

Latest posts

Back