Wyeast Smack Pack - First Time Use - No Result So Far

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just chasing some advice.

Made a Czech Pilsner a few days ago and it was my first time using a Wyeast smack pack.

I used a 2124 Bohemian lager. Found the bulge for the yeast nutrient, smacked it, seemed to have popped, But it didnt swell in the 3-4 hours before i pitched it.

I was going to leave it go overnight but the back of the pack said pitch at 22-25 degrees or something similar, leave it till you see fermentation then drop temps down to fermenting temps.

My wort was around 25 degrees from the immersion chiller, so i took the gamble, opened the wyeast pack, inside was the nutrient thing, which looks like it has two seperate nutrient tabs joined together, only one was popped, i took the nutrient plastic thing out, tipped the rest into the fermenter and set the freezer to 12 degrees.

After 2 days there is no sign of activity from it.
I have a brew right beside it which was a S189 pitched at 14 degrees which was going strong in less than 24 hours.

I know this is a common topic, but its my first time using Liquid yeast, and Im just chasing some advice. Hope i havent done something wrong.

Thanks

Neo, there is some good advice about pitching rates on the Wyeast website. Basically, you have underpitched your yeast and the obvious signs will take longer to become noticeable. There will be some activity going on, just can't see it or haven't noticed it yet. Is there any condensation forming under the lid of the fermenter?

As razz said you have under pitched. You'll often get a long lag time when you pitch a small amount of yeast especially lager where the ferment temp is low. Look up how to make a starter or consider pitching a couple of packs. mrmalty.com has some good advise and tools on pitching rates.

Cheers

thanks guys.

Having never used the smack packs and only ever using a single dry yeast pack ber brew, I guess I just didnt realise what was required. Never made a starter but i better get myself organised and get a stirplate made and start learning.

Wyeast says that if you are pitching a < 1.060 lager that's above 18C, then 6 million cells/ml is okay.

If you are pitching at ferment temp (<12C) then you need to double this.

So one smackpack into 20L of 1.045 at 20C is fine - if the yeast is healthy (new pack) and active when pitched.

Lager <1.060 (15P), >65F wort temp, <60F ferm temp, 6.00 million cells (one pack).

nope didnt swell, I have a feeling it said it was packed/made in august, MrMalty said that about 32% viable.
That doesnt sound good.

I assume from this they arent a good thing to order in advance and keep in the fridge any longer than a week or two.

Sounds like ive done a few things wrong here. All good first time using liquid yeast, i'll know for next time now

It is worth noting you only left 3-4 hours, Neo. A pack a few months old will take longer than this to swell in most cases - in my experience anyway.

nope didnt swell, I have a feeling it said it was packed/made in august, MrMalty said that about 32% viable.
That doesnt sound good.

I assume from this they arent a good thing to order in advance and keep in the fridge any longer than a week or two.

Sounds like ive done a few things wrong here. All good first time using liquid yeast, i'll know for next time now

The biggest mistake you made (IMO) is not waiting for it to swell up. If it doesn't swell up, there's a problem, so don't pitch the yeast.

can this bloke re-pitch more yeast?

i think im about to have the same problem :(

I have a wyeast 3068 in the fridge. THe other day when I went to get some other yeast out I noticed the pack was considerably swollen and I could barely open the draw. Does this mean I have already popped mine? If so how quickly do I have to use it?

Well i dont have any more of that yeast, I have a Wyeast munich lager, or S189, S23 w34/70.

Only reason i put it in without letting it swell is it was 2am on a work night, and the Wyeast website says its ok to pitch even if it doesnt swell right up.

What yeast should i put in there now? Or should I just wait it out. I can ferment for as long as it likes, no rush.

Well i dont have any more of that yeast, I have a Wyeast munich lager, or S189, S23 w34/70.

Only reason i put it in without letting it swell is it was 2am on a work night, and the Wyeast website says its ok to pitch even if it doesnt swell right up.

What yeast should i put in there now? Or should I just wait it out. I can ferment for as long as it likes, no rush.
If it were me I'd cross my fingers and leave it.

sorry for hijacking, but if pitching more yeast...are we just shaking the wort up to re-aerate and then pitch?

no worries.

Ill do that tonight, Luckily the Dr Smurto's Golden ale beside it is ticking away nicely

Back