Wyeast Smack Pack Burst Open

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
Ok so I just smacked my Wyeast pack and it burst. I probably smacked it too hard (stupid I know). There was a very small leak out the bottom so I tipped it upside down, dropped it into a sanitised ziploc bag and am letting it sit to increase in temp to room temp before pitching. Anyone think this will create a problem or anyone ever do this before? I'm thinking minimal as the whole was small and I addressed it immediately.

I've done it before and had no issue. You've taken more precautions than I did. I reckon you're fine.

bah

jesus_bitch.jpg

Just pitch it to the starter and let it go...... should be fine.

Just taste the starter before putting in a full size brew to be sure though.

cheers

Starsan is designed to kill (as much as it can) any bugs that it comes in contact with. That includes yeast. Never place yeast directly onto starsan.

Starsan is designed to kill (as much as it can) any bugs that it comes in contact with. That includes yeast. Never place yeast directly onto starsan.

WTF? how much you been drinking tonight mate who mentioned starsan.............or are you up to something else PMSL.

Hoser, keep the hammer in the toolbox mate! ;)

Yeah it should be fine. if the pack is fresh and is at pitching rate, dont hesitiate to pitch directly into fermenteor or into a starter if you're building it up.

Sorry to drag up and old thread but these Wyeasy Smackies while I think are a great idea are really starting to give me the 'ump.... <_< :(

For the second time in a row I've had the pack burst on me after smacking. It seriously winds me up that when you do smack these things you have no idea whether the nutrient sack has in fact burst or not, and if you smack too hard you can break the whole seal, meaning you lose your hard earned cash or continue and pray that nothing nasty crawls into the exploded orifice that you have created with your violence... :angry:

The problem seems to be associated with slightly older smackpacks that sometimes swell just a bit even while stored in the refrigerator. Sometimes its very hard to judge but if its only slightly puffed it seems there is a huge risk of bursting the pack seal while attempting to only burst the nutrient pack. So what I have ended up doing is "gently" trying to smack the pack, only to find later when it comes to pitching that I have failed to break the nutrient pack at all. :eek:

No of course what you guys will say is make a starter and dont bother to smack, but the reason I buy wyeast is to avoid having to make a starter and to trust the claim of the manufacturer "direct pitch"... Secondly, I usualy smack the pack the day before brewing or on the day first thing. Therefore is something goes wrong I dont have the luxury of time to make a starter.

I am aware the yeast are dormant and therefore alive and therefore are metabolising "slowly" but I am wondering if my supplier may be warming these things up to a point they have awaken somehow, in any case frustrating. Think I am going to try the Whitelabs pitchable vials.

Rant over.

open the pack pour it into a clean sterile container fish out the pouch open and pour in on top then leave covered and let it do its thing. smacking with out smacking.

I make starters always with the Wyeast packs. The stuff deteriorates rapidly. A month or two and you can't pitch it - yet it's difficult to buy it fresh enough to pitch.

Shits me a little that there's no discount for "unpitchable" packs.

I make starters always with the Wyeast packs. The stuff deteriorates rapidly. A month or two and you can't pitch it - yet it's difficult to buy it fresh enough to pitch.

Shits me a little that there's no discount for "unpitchable" packs.
The margin that they would make on a smack pack wouldn't be much (that's a guess). That's the problem with living over the other side of the world from where it's made, we just can't get it as fast.

Back