Wyeast - Puffed, Too Soon? Help!

• Thread starter hoppy frog2
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hoppy frog2

hello all,

I've decided to make the quantum leap into the world of liquid yeasts after reading a lot of encouraging posts on this board.

So I bought a pack of 1056 american ale wyeast the other day, one of the new blue activator style ones, 100 billion cells, eat your heart out Dr evil.

After reading batz' post on how to start them I allowed myself about 3 days from smacking to pitching. Want to brew this sunday morning.

So after taking it out of the fridge and slowly raising it to room temp, I smacked it tonight (thursday) and put it in my insulated brewbox, thermostatically controlled to 21C. So far so good.

Only thing is it didnt take 3 days. It took 3 hours!!!!!!!!

Now its all puffed up and nowhere to go, still 'fizzing' inside. Whats the next best course of action? Will it explode? I cant believe it would as they'd have warn you on the packet.

Can I just wait it out? should I slowly chill it, refridgerate it, and warm it up again a few hours b4 pitching. What happens if you leave them a couple of days after they've puffed up?

can anyone help?

Thanks.

Chuck it back in the fridge. This should make the little yeasties inside go into dormancy. Unless you freeze it, you won't kill them.

A couple of hours before you are ready to pitch, just pull them out, and let them come back up to temp in your brewbox. Once they are at that temp, they will be active again.

tops! thanks danbeer. Not a momnet too sonn either as I think it was fast becoming a rather useless soccerball. Now I can goto bed and hopefully not have nightmares about attack of the exploding yeasts!

OR

Make the starter now and keep building it up to have it really cranking on brew day.

yer yer yer you suce :angry: :angry: :p :lol: :lol:

Jeez frog if you read the packet it will only take 3 hours which it did. Still now all you need to do is look at the back panel and follow instructions on how to make a starter. all you need is some malt (dry or liquid) a flagon or 2lt pet bottle with lid and your away.

Regards
Mark

Back