Wyeast Lactobacillus Culture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppinmad

Reaction score
So last night i added a pack of wyeast lacto to 1 litre of 40C wort @ 1.040. The starter has been held at 40C in a rice cooker but as yet I see no visible sign of activity. Does lactobacillus normally foam up similar to yeast or is it more subdued? I have never used lacto before so not sure what to expect.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

download.jpg

Doesn't froth up usually, you'll find that it won't be consuming that many sugars but it will be dropping the pH a fair bit. Usually Lacto action is big nasty ass looking bubbles without much 'krausen'. Looks cool.

How are you planning on using it in your beer?

I did a Berliner Weisse with the Wyeast blend but I'm doing another soon with the straight Wyeast lacto pitched and left for a week followed by an ale strain. That ensures maximum acidity.

I was planning on adding the lacto first to the wort for about 3-4 days then adding the wyeast berliner blend. I have heard the blend by itself doesnt provide much sourness so I thought I'd double up. How did you find it?

I've got a berliner weisse fermenting at the moment. Hasn't really got a visible pellicle or krausen, but the pH and gravity is dropping, so it's working.

I was planning on adding the lacto first to the wort for about 3-4 days then adding the wyeast berliner blend. I have heard the blend by itself doesnt provide much sourness so I thought I'd double up. How did you find it?

I'll be letting mine ride. I'd avoid using the blend to allow you to drink it sooner. Using lacto and then ale yeast means that you can be drinking the beer in three weeks. The Wyeast blend has Brett which needs more time to do it's thing.

Latest posts

Back