Wyeast Equivalent For Coopers Recultured Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a Wyeast that is the equivalent or very similar to the coopers recultured yeast?

Thanks heaps

Whitelabs have an Australian Pale Ale yeast but I'm pretty sure it's only available in March-April, although there might be the odd retailer with some left over.

Yeah sorry there not one, it's easy to reculture from coopers stubbies

no equivalent though the london 1968 has nice fruity esters that are similar.
though that is subjective.

yeah thanks guys, i have done the recultured a few time and is all good but wasnt sure if there was a commercial yeast available.

Agree with Manticle.
WY1968 won't attenuate anywhere near enough for a Coopers clone, and will produce a too malty beer.

I reckon the closest Wyeast offering would be a Saison yeast. Run coopers yeast above 25C and it's pretty bloody similar. Pears, bananas and low, low FG.

But yeah - buy $10 worth of CPA and make a starter - get the CPA for free. IMO, it's a pretty average ale though.

As hippy said, whitelabs have their 009 which is supposedly the coopers strain (happy to be corrected though) but is normally only available during a couple of months of the year.

Or as others have said, grab a few CPA's, drink the beer and build up the yeast from there. Cheap and tasty option

The 5.9% Sparkling cultures up fine. And what are these stubbies I hear you talk about? 3 Tallies at LiqourLand for $16 does the trick.

Latest posts

Back