Wyeast 3787 (trappist High Gravity) In A Low Grav Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremys

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of brewing low gravity beers instead of starters, why brew something that you can't drink? I will occasionally make a starter if I have old yeast or want to brew something on short notice, but in generaly I try to brew something with about 3.5%abv and then brew a stronger beer, pitching onto the yeast cake.

I want to brew a Belgian Strong Dark (Quadrupel) and am wondering how Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity would go in a small Belgian beer of about 3.5%. What I have in mind is a Belgian Blond/Pale ale, but without any simple sugars, lower gravity and a nice spicy yeast character. Does anyone have experience of using this yeast in low gravity beers? I'm having the same sort of thought about a low gravity Saison with the Dupont yeast strain.

I'm a big fan of brewing low gravity beers instead of starters, why brew something that you can't drink? I will occasionally make a starter if I have old yeast or want to brew something on short notice, but in generaly I try to brew something with about 3.5%abv and then brew a stronger beer, pitching onto the yeast cake.

I want to brew a Belgian Strong Dark (Quadrupel) and am wondering how Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity would go in a small Belgian beer of about 3.5%. What I have in mind is a Belgian Blond/Pale ale, but without any simple sugars, lower gravity and a nice spicy yeast character. Does anyone have experience of using this yeast in low gravity beers? I'm having the same sort of thought about a low gravity Saison with the Dupont yeast strain.
high grav yeast just means it more alc tolerant. it will ferment anything

now of course since there is less fermentables you'll have less/shorter fermentation and thus less characteristics produced. but you may eb abelt o fudge some of that with a warm fermetnation, say 23C.

why dont you just brew a normal grav beer (4-5%). you'll get a slightly longer ferment and more characters. unless of course you specifically want a midstrength beer

edit: i love w3787

I've not tried it, but you'd want to keep the mash temp pretty high with it, 3787 is a ripper of an attenuator.

I'd probably try something middle-of-the-road for a small beer, something about 1055, maybe a Belgian Pale ale with Styrian Goldings or similar

actually they are the OPs thoughts.
he says he making either a pale or blonde. he didnt ask for reccomendations of what to brew.

...okay. In my experience, when making a low gravity beer with 3787, with the express purpose of growing yeast for a high gravity batch, a Belg Pale with styrians is great.

You'll likely get quite a high apparent attenuation.

The only time I used it, about 15 months ago, in a Belgian Dark Strong, it went from 1.078 to 1.010.
Unless you build some malt into your brew, it might finish quite thin. It does leave you with some lovely esters.

I used this yeast in a pale ale a few years back. Memory of it is a bit fuzzy but from my notes it didn't finish that dry - finished at 1010 from 1044, so a bit bigger than you were aiming for at mid-4% alc. Strangely I did use Styrian Goldings. I say go for it.

The main advice I would give is to make sure you keep it warm, especially with the bigger beer you are planning to do next. I did a 10% tripel with this yeast straight after the pale ale (and at the same time of year) and the cooler nights meant it stalled. It did finally ferment out but it took ages.

Jeremy,

How did the mid strength beer on 3787 go?

My 1.044 boh pils cube turned into belgian pale ale with 3787 has been 11 days and tasting good, fg is reached. Just wondering how long you left it in primary? I am thinking 14 days then cc if my fridge can fit it.

I did a warm ferment (26C) 1.045 BPA with 3787, and it was very, very like a Saison.

Lol. My ferment was 22 ambient but did think the for taste test tonight it had a saison quality. How long on primary nick?

A while ago I did some searching for info on this site for ideas for a Murrays Sassy Blonde clone and at the time it was suggested on good authority (iirc) that the yeast was 3787.

I took the advice and made a similar beer with 3787 fermented at 20 degrees that is pretty much the only recipe I have made on multiple occasions. Its a great yeast. Obviously not as many esters at this temp but give a wonderful edge to the beer without being overpowering.

Did you post the recipe?

maybe I should brew a dark strong or dubbel whlist i have this yeast cake.

I brewed a 3% Belgian Single with this yeast as a starter for a tripel. Went really well. Better than the tripel, actually.

Lol. My ferment was 22 ambient but did think the for taste test tonight it had a saison quality. How long on primary nick?

About a week IIRC.

17L
3.5 Wey Pils
100g Special B
68C
100ml Dark Candi
15g Galena 60 min
3787 @ 24-26C

Cool. Mine looks clear after 11. Like the look of you radieuse recipe.

Sounds like a good idea, I'd like to have a go myself.

Would it be best to remove 1/2 to 2/3 of the yeast cake to prevent over pitching?

This is what I've been using the 3787 in. Pretty happy with it.

23L
Pilsner 61.4%
JW Ale 35.1%
Caramunich 3.5%
38g EKG 60min (20IBU)
15g Styrian Goldings 10min (2.6IBU)
26g Stryian Goldings 0min

Latest posts

Back