Wyeast 3787- high attenuation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so, just made a single that was going to be the starter for a Dubbel. But after bottling first batch im a little hesitant to reuse the yeast. First batch all Pilsner,mashed lowish at 64 d
For 90 min. og 1056.
It was A violent fermentation. Blew through the air lock constantly. Cleaned it up twice a day for 5 days.

10 days in it had settled at 1012 where brewers friend suggested. Then whole family got sick so didn’t get to bottle so it sat for another week. Got to bottle yesterday and fg is 1004. 93% attenuation

First batch tastes nice and clean out of the fermenter. Have kept a jar of slurry for the Dubbel but the Extra high attenuation has me a bit nervous that it may have some extra bugs in there. Especially as it was blasting out the airlock regularly.

What you reckon ? Use the slurry or just chuck it just in case ?

Last edited:
so, just made a single that was going to be the starter for a Dubbel. But after bottling first batch im a little hesitant to reuse the yeast. First batch all Pilsner,mashed lowish at 64 d
For 90 min. og 1056.
It was A violent fermentation. Blew through the air lock constantly. Cleaned it up twice a day for 5 days.

10 days in it had settled at 1012 where brewers friend suggested. Then whole family got sick so didn’t get to bottle so it sat for another week. Got to bottle yesterday and fg is 1004. 93% attenuation

First batch tastes nice and clean out of the fermenter. Have kept a jar of slurry for the Dubbel but the Extra high attenuation has me a bit nervous that it may have some extra bugs in there. Especially as it was blasting out the airlock regularly.

What you reckon ? Use the slurry or just chuck it just in case ?
Never divert from a game plan, it is the only way to learn. An extra week in a fermenter which would be sterile to other "bugs" just carry out your intentions, you have nothing to lose.

It can be a tricky yeast, although the specks say it should only attenuate to about 78% I have heard of plenty of people saying it goes a lot further, had some pretty well attenuated triples with it my self (high 80's).
I suspect your problem might be more with your long cool mash. Mash a bit hotter 65-67oC and only for an hour should see you right.
Good idea to have a fair amount (say 30-50%) head room in your fermenter, it can throw very sudsy big creamy head that hangs around.
If you are adding sugar as part of the brew, I like to add it later in the ferment, find it helps to control the start of the ferment a bit (less likely to foam over).
If the yeast tastes and smells good, use it, otherwise replace, but as above it probably wasn't the yeast.
Mark

cool. Ill pitch it tonight and see how it goes.

I'll have a bit more head room this time. first batch was 26 l in 30 l fermenter,which I have done many times but not with this yeast I guess

the dubbel is only 22l

Latest posts

Back