Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz1179

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

just smacked a pack of 2124 for an Oktoberfest i plan to make over the weekend, noticed on the back of the pack the instructions state to ferment between 18-22 deg - no mention of fermenting lower for larger and other styles.

i was planning at fermenting around 10 on this one, just making sure this would be ok... ????

Im also curious....what style of beer would you make using this lager yeast at 18-22? according to the wyeast page it is for "common beer production"
(http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=30)

Thanks in advance

Hi brewers,

just smacked a pack of 2124 for an Oktoberfest i plan to make over the weekend, noticed on the back of the pack the instructions state to ferment between 18-22 deg - no mention of fermenting lower for larger and other styles.

i was planning at fermenting around 10 on this one, just making sure this would be ok... ????

"A versatile strain, that is great to use with lagers or Pilsners for fermentations in the 45-55F (8-12C) range."

http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=30

Fermenting at 10 is smack bang in the middle of the range for this yeast. I have used it at this temp and got good results.

"A versatile strain, that is great to use with lagers or Pilsners for fermentations in the 45-55F (8-12C) range."

Cheers Sam, i did see that on the wyeast page, but was curious as it is not on the packet instructions....

Sure it says to ferment at that temp? Or to pitch at that temp and then lower to ferment temp?

Sure it says to ferment at that temp? Or to pitch at that temp and then lower to ferment temp?

no it says to ferment at that temp. it does mention additional yeast is required for lower ferment temps, but the only range given in the instructions is 18-22

(crappy iphone pics)

photo_2.JPG

photo.JPG

It says pitch at 18-22 wait till activity then lower to desired temp. See very last point in photo.

EDIT: Quote from Craftbrewer website
"A Carlsberg type yeast and most widely used lager strain in the world. Produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character and a crisp finish. Will ferment in the 45-55F range for various beer styles. Benefits from diacetyl rest at 58F (14C) for 24 hours after fermentation is complete. Also used for pseudo-ale production with fermentations at 75F, (24C) which eliminates sulfur production."

I've tried it...keep it at lager temperatures.

James

I've had good results with this yeast, with a big starter and pitching at around 10-12 deg.

It says pitch at 18-22 wait till activity then lower to desired temp. See very last point in photo.

yeah, got that... apologies if the OP was a little misleading... the point i was trying to make was that it was odd they wouldn't put a lager ferment range on the pack considering
its the "most widely used lager strain in the world"

I've tried it...keep it at lager temperatures.

James

plan too. cheers mate

I prefer to use 34/70. Cheaper, same thing.

2124 is one of the best Lager yeasts IMO.

2124 is one of the best Lager yeasts IMO.

Fingers crossed. Have high hopes for this one! Although I smacked the pack about 6.5 hrs ago and is still as flat as (insert inappropriate joke about a girl with no cans)

Just getting my starter ready now.

Fingers crossed. Have high hopes for this one! Although I smacked the pack about 6.5 hrs ago and is still as flat as (insert inappropriate joke about a girl with no cans)

Just getting my starter ready now.

Lager yeasts can take forever to swell.

Smack a weizen yeast and it's like BANG!

This is the only lager yeast I use and always ferment @ 10C, with great results.

I used this for a Pilsner.

I pitched at 18*C and lowered to 9*C

It hit FG after about 7 days and I raised back to 18*C for 72 hours.

I then lowered to 1*C for a fortnight then bottled.

A bit of a process but I had heaps of time.

The Pilsner turned out great - not a hint of diacetyl, crisp and dry.

I'm sure if you take your time your lager will be fabulous.

I used this for a Pilsner.

I pitched at 18*C and lowered to 9*C

It hit FG after about 7 days and I raised back to 18*C for 72 hours.

I then lowered to 1*C for a fortnight then bottled.

A bit of a process but I had heaps of time.

The Pilsner turned out great - not a hint of diacetyl, crisp and dry.

I'm sure if you take your time your lager will be fabulous.

Cheers mate. As I said, high hopes with this one. No hurry at all, will follow your schedule.

You don't need to swell the smack pack if you are making a starter, the only advantage of doing so is to verify the yeasties are alive. I would pitch the yeast as soon as your starter wort is at desired temp.

A general question i have is what temps do people do their lager starters at? Lager ferment temp or around 18 c like an ale?

A general question i have is what temps do people do their lager starters at? Lager ferment temp or around 18 c like an ale?
I just do my starters at room temp.
As I keep the yeast cake from the first brew with a new Wyeast and split it into about 3 or 4 500ml swing top bottles. This way I dont need to make a starter to build up yeast number, just to fire it up. Once its done I put back in the fridge and the next morning decant off the clear and later that same day I will pitch, and she fires straight up every time.
If I dont make that starter it still works but will take a few days.
So yes there is no need to do Lager starters at 10 or 12 deg C.

Steve

If, like me, you generally make active starters from identical wort and pitch the whole thing, you might want to treat it the same way. If decanting, just get what growth you can at whatever temp you can and get rid of the crusty tasting beer.

Latest posts

Back