Wyeast 1469 W. Yorkshire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did use this yeast for the first time on a stout. 18 - 20 degrees in the fermenter. The fermentation looked much the same as any other yeast. Now the gravity is stalled at 20. No luck with raising to 22 degrees and swirling fermenter so I am going to pitch in a US05 starter (all I have atm) to get things going again.

I did use this yeast for the first time on a stout. 18 - 20 degrees in the fermenter. The fermentation looked much the same as any other yeast. Now the gravity is stalled at 20. No luck with raising to 22 degrees and swirling fermenter so I am going to pitch in a US05 starter (all I have atm) to get things going again.
Whats your recipe and temp schedule, also OG/predictable FG and pitch rate?? I love 1469 and use it more than any other yeast and never have a problem with it stalling.

bah

1469 seems pretty good at not stalling compared to many english ale yeasts. post the recipe like bigandhairy said

Youngs double choc stout from recipe data base. 1 pack of fresh yeast pitched with the pack very swollen. Fg should have been 17 and it has been sitting at 20 for past 5 days. I mashed at 65 biab and mashed out at 72. I have a gut feeling it may be done at 20fg. The og was 2 points below expected so I would be happier with the gravity well under 20.

Youngs double choc stout from recipe data base. 1 pack of fresh yeast pitched with the pack very swollen. Fg should have been 17 and it has been sitting at 20 for past 5 days. I mashed at 65 biab and mashed out at 72. I have a gut feeling it may be done at 20fg. The og was 2 points below expected so I would be happier with the gravity well under 20.
Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Mine is out by 4 points, so a reading by my hydro at 1020 is actually 1016. I didnt know for quite a while until I brewed a few beers with higher predicted fg's than I would normal brew. They should have finished at 1016/1018 but the wouldnt come under 1020/1022. Atter calibrating it I found it was 4 points out so now I just account for it every time I use it, I'll get around to buying another one day but it'll probably get dropped before then :).

bah

My hydrometer reads water at zero and has been spot on for all my other brews. I am going to pitch more yeast tomorrow then see if the grav drops.

On a related note, recently I had a Robust Porter on 1768PC (a recalcitrant finisher of renown) go from 1.060 to 1.020 with a slower ferment (perhaps a little cool, mind), with numerous rouses and a lengthy D rest, even so there was very little change in the final fortnight of primary. Then I racked it on to an entire 1469 yeast cake and it dropped just a solitary point- that's hardly a significant change. The point is that sometimes they're just done, particularly the stronger, darker beers, to my palate they're not overly sweet or cloying at that higher FG.
If there is any remaining fermentation to be done then 1469 should take care of that, it would be highly unlikely to stall. Don't sweat over it is my advice, be patient and take your time, see how it turns out. If you brew it again and you still wish for a lower FG perhaps go for a slightly lower saccharification rest temperature, also ensure the yeast pitch is big and healthy (i.e. propagate a starter) with adequate nutrition, plus take a leaf out of Bribie's handbook and give it a thorough beating for the first few days of the ferment as well.

I have got a big stout (1093ish sg) going on 1469 at the moment I have been fermenting it low and it is currently sitting at 1030, so I have just racked into a secondry vessel with 100g of cascade. I will leave it sit at ambient for a few days I dont expect it will go much lower than 1022. And that will be good.

I wouldnt pitch more yeast but its your beer.

Cheers

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will just crash chill now and bottle.

Back