Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale Yeast For Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
What would be the implications of pitching "Doc's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter" on top of a Belgian Strong Ale, that I used the Wyeast 1388 yeast in?

i was wondering the same thing SJW.....
how versitile is 1388..? and has anyone used it in a standard apa or similar with good results..?

no idea but will be a great experiment.the oatmeal pale ale im doing on saturday will have the wyeast 1214 belgian ale yeast so im looking forward to the end result. :chug:

cheers
big d

Big D.

Less hops and you would could almost call it a Tripel Karmeliet clone. :)

Warren -

karmeliet would be nice, have you cloned it Warren? how did it turn out.?
is there a specific Wyeast that goes with the TK.?

does the fact that 1388 is classed as a strong ale yeast.. make it not suitable for a lower gravity brew.?

Never tried to clone it Kong. Like to be able to though.

About all I know about TK is that it's made from Barley, Wheat and Oats in malted and unmalted form. Hopping is Styrian Goldings and it is spiced.

You want an OG of about 1.080. From there you're on your own. :rolleyes:

Warren -

sounds intriguing. guess that makes it "docs imperial strong belgian vanilla bourbon porter". what a mouthfull.
im thinking some of the flavors may get lost in translation. but may also be one hell of a tasty beer.
joe

I have done a stout with a belgian yeast, and the results were mixed. Probably not something I would do again, but maybe if I had the time to tweak the recipe out and refine it. Taylor it to the flavors of the yeast. I'd be interested in hearing how that comes out!

Latest posts

Back