Wyeast 1332 Northwest fermentation question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I put down a IPA with an OG of 1062 on Sunday and pitched 1332 from a 2l starter. I checked the SG yesterday and it was at 1020, this is roughly what it should be ending at according to Beersmith. I am looking at transferring to secondary for a dry hop but the krausen is still massive, is it okay to transfer even though the krausen hasn't dropped back in?

Man this yeast is crazy... 3 days and fermentation is basically complete, it really goes like a steam train on a war path.. My initial taste out of the fermenter was very pleasant. Anyone else have experience with this yeast they would like to share?

Cheers,
Echo

You don't need to transfer to secondary to dry hop if you don't want to.

It probably has a few more points to drop, it should get closer to 1.015. Fine to dry hop now or later based on preference, a lot of people like a 3 day contact time on the dry hops.

As to your question, it's fine to transfer while krausen is still high, but personally, I'd wait for it to drop down, then just dry hop in primary and wait for gravity to stabilise.

I want to move to secondary because I got quite a bit of hop debris from the kettle into the fermenter and don't want to end up with a grassy taste due to being on hops too long (I know this may not happen or be a problem and I normally just leave it in primary until bottling but have never done a secondary so would like to try)

I will continue to monitor over the next few days until the SG is stable and then look at transferring.

Thanks for answering my question about transferring when krausen is there, I have just read that the krausen can last for weeks with this yeast.

Echo2 said:
Anyone else have experience with this yeast they would like to share?
I've brewed with 1332 twice before. It took the beers (both mashed at 66c) from 1044 to 1012, and 1074 to 1020, around 71% attenuation.

I was pleased with the flavour as well.

Echo2 said:
I want to move to secondary because I got quite a bit of hop debris from the kettle into the fermenter and don't want to end up with a grassy taste due to being on hops too long (I know this may not happen or be a problem and I normally just leave it in primary until bottling but have never done a secondary so would like to try)

I will continue to monitor over the next few days until the SG is stable and then look at transferring.

Thanks for answering my question about transferring when krausen is there, I have just read that the krausen can last for weeks with this yeast.
Can you crash chill? If so, throw your hops in whenever you like for however you like - yank them out if need be at some point, and then crash chill for as long as you can to drop out your hop debris and other unwanted matter.

Yeah, you pretty much can't screw it up now.

Dry hop either now or after you rack, and rack either now or in a few days, the beer will turn out great.

If you're racking to secondary, I'd do that after 6-7 days and dry hop then - then monitor gravity and dry hop flavour to determine when to bottle/keg.

I was going to post a question today about this yeast. I am using it in a Pale Ale and after five days it still has the thickest Krausen, very similar looking to the one I had with US05, that one hung around for weeks. Is this one prone to hang around?

Back