Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also had this yeast stop at around 1.022, bumping the temp up a bit and a little stir started it again.

The lack of enough initial (And afterwards) aeration could well be causing your problems Phillo.
Find it hard to agree (With apologies to Bribie :icon_cheers: ) that one deg c disparity at that high mash temp could be the culprit..

I brewed a 'spring beer' based on an existing recipe to try this yeast out and to use up some oldish Nelson Sauvin. Nothing clever about it, recipe approximate only.

3.2 kg JW ale
0.8 kg Munich I

Mash at 65°C with usual steps

50:50 Fuggles and Nelson Sauvin at 60 mins
35g Nelson Sauvin in cube

IBU ~25
OG 1.046 (a bit high), anticipated FG around 1.012

I pitched the yeast at 19°C and it chewed down to 1.011 apparently (according to hydrometer) in about 4 days but had a thick layer of creamy yeast on the top still. I took it out of the fridge for another brew and left it at ambient (24-28°C) and it's slowly bubbling away about every minute. Early samples are typically English and while the hops are still there, I feel they're appropriately muted. The flavours are predominately citrus to the point of tasting like oranges.

Back